Realtek Audio Not Working?

Face-Sploder

So I've had this problem for the last week, I have no audio whatsoever. I thought the problem might be the sound card, but the guys down at the tech store told me it was a problem with the computer not recognizing Realtek Audio as a device. Sure enough, in device manager the Realtek Audio option is gone!

audio_help.png

The guy at the tech store told me that to reinstall whatever it is I'm now suddenly missing I would have to nuke the computer. I just wanted to make sure, is there any way I could solve this problem without nuking my computer? Thank you very much! I wasn't quite sure where to put this so I put it in this section, if an admin knows a better place for this thread then please move it.

I am using Windows 7 (I'm not sure how to find the service pack and minor version information.) I do know that my computer is 64 bit.

I am not using Realtek as a device for my audio, simply the ports seem to correspond to it so I would guess that I have a Realtek motherboard (with sound card built in.)

I tried looking up the term hardware scan (I'm not too familiar with it) and I got a bunch of application I can download. Is this a feature in Windows or do I have to download a 3rd party application to do this? The answer to your answer of whether I tried it or not is of course no, as I have no idea what it is (aside from what the name tells me.)

Thank you for your response! I will try to supply as much information as I can, please tell me if this is not enough information and I'll try my best to get more detailed info.