Office 2003 nightmare: Need EXACT reinstall & restore with .PST in

UPDATE: My .PST file is missing. It is NOT on the system. I do not mean my old backed up .pst file. I mean the default one on Windows. And because of it,. Outlook will not even start! Can someone PLEASE assist me!!!!!!

I've been at this for TWO DAYS now and have lost my voice from screaming.

Very simple: Old system was in bad shape (ran slow slow slow). Email program was Outlook from Office 2003. Exported a .PST file of everything, using instructions on Microsoft's site (an easy task).

Reinstalled Vista and then Office 2003, plus Service Pack 3.

Then tried to import the .PST file and the nightmare began.

Long story short, we just keep getting a mess. A folder structure with NO EMAIL Account. So we try to add it and then we have two folder structures instead of one. They are separate and the wrong one has the email account!.

We cannot add email to the correct one. We can only create a new email account, which creates yet another folder structure!! No way to combine them.

I remember this happening years ago and I almost had a nervous breakdown (seriously) until someone showed me the exact, proper sequence to so it all.

I cannot find this sequence and need help!

I've used the nuclear option and completely removed Office from the system. I will not reinstall it. I will NOT open Outlook until I can be told how to properly do so, use that .PST file and re-create what I had prior.

Why this is so insanely difficult is beyond me. I can build a PC with my eyes closed, but I cannot get stupid Outlook 2003 working.

:welcomewf:

Could we just hear what the views of the other people involved previous to the stage that you took over solely ? Their input at this point may give some insight as to how you got into this state. There must obviously been some kind of disagreement which led you to make a mistake perhaps.

What is required is the information before the current amendment.

The method for moving Outlook data from one system to another is very simple

1) on the old system: while Outlook is closed, copy the PST file(s) to an external storage device

2) on the new system: while Outlook is closed, copy the saved PST file(s) to the target folder

3) on the new system: open the Control Panel Mail applet, then associate the copied PST data files

Never use the Outlook Export/Import functions; these are for exporting/importing data from different email clients.

Aaah. Shame. No replies back so far to see if Pat's help was any good in solving that question.

It took a bit of working out exactly how many people were working on the problem in the first place, and whether it may have been a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth. It seemed to drift from " I " to " We " and finally back to " I " who seemingly had some skills in building a computer with his/her eyes closed. - Most confusing.

Can only hope that Pat's words were helpful, and the person involved got his/her voice back from all of the screaming.