specifying core/thread for music player to use - suggestions pls

Dunno if you can help with this one.

While working on the PC I play music.

I play music continuously. For many years I have used MediaMonkey. It plays the tracks from an ext hard drive. Often the MediaMonkey music player crashes. It just hangs. Which means any changes to the music library database are lost.

Some at MediaMonkey forum suggest giving MediaMonkey priority in a core/thread, so that normal PC workings will not interfere with the player. I am not sure of my terminology here. But I think I have four cores.

Software they suggested was an old legacy xp program that had not been updated for yonks. I am not sure it was suitable for Win7. It was not for me. Cannot remember what is was called.

What reliable program is there that will safely specify which core/thread the MediaMonkey music player uses.

Win7x64, AMD Phenom IIX4 940 Processor, 8GB RAM.