Is a recovery drive sufficient?

Hello everyone! I've upgraded my HP dv6 to Windows 8 and I have a recovery partition that is just over 16 gigabytes and mostly full. I'd like to delete this partition (as I did with HP_Tools) and use it for something else (re-size it and use as a Linux swap partition). I created a recovery USB drive but only about 2 gigabytes of my 16 gigabyte USB stick was used to make it. If at some point my C: is completely formatted, does my recovery drive have what I need to re-install Windows? If not, what can I do to make it so? Thanks so much for your help.

I regularly back up both my desktop and notebook computers onto an external hard drive using Acronis. You cannot rely on a recovery partition which is on the same hard drive as your OS and data - sooner or later the hard drive will fail.

I would not rely on a USB memory stick - they are too easy to lose.