Cant unlock my PC when I lock it

code_fodder

Hi there,

I have a strange issue on my laptop that my IT dept can't figure out.

System: Windows XP SP3

Symptoms:

I boot up my PC, I login with my username and password (on our local business domain). Everything works fine. Then when I lock my screen (either with ctrl+alt+del ro by waiting for 30 minutes) I cannot unlock it with my username and password that I just logged in as.

The message I get is: "The password is incorrect. Please retype your password. Letter in passwords must be typed using the correct case"

This does not happen on any other PC, just this one. I have had IT delete my user account on the PC that is affected and this worked for a short while (I think a day or so) until the issue came back.

My thoughts:

There is somthing wrong with my PC that makes it lose or get the wrong password for my user name when I try to unlock it. A hard reboot and re-login always works. (so, no, there is no chance I am typing in the wrong password, not the number of times I have tried! - and I have checked the caps etc... by typing into the username field just to test I can enter the password correctly).

As I say, this is a strange issue. One thing I read online was regarding some services running or NIC for laptops, but I dont even know what NIC is!

Any ideas

ok, I thought this was an issue with just one computer... but now it happens on another one too :(

I have done two things about it:

1. I am always running a little app called "noSleep.exe" which wiggles my mouse 1 pixel and back every 30secs

2. I run a 3rd party "lock" tool called "ClearLock.exe" to lock my PCs

This works for the most part, the only thing I have not got is a screen saver. This is ok for the desktop and my laptop 2nd monitor, because I can turn them both off. But my main monitor for the laptop cant be turned off :o

Try backing up all data on both computers. (Even go so far as to system image both computers as well.) Format the drives and reload the operating systems.

Yes of course there will be a simple explanation for what you are experiencing, and there will be many ways that you may reach the root of the problem.

Re-installation may seem a little drastic, but there are times when "More is Less" in terms of actual time.

The disk images (System Images) will of course be your safety net in this exercise.

Image/Format/Install/ and back to original image if necessary, is not exactly going to break the bank for time. You have an IT Dept at your disposal. - So make the very most of that also.

Once you have made and verified a system image you can start to rip into things in the knowledge that you can always get back to where you came from in a matter of minutes.