Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your

Hi all. I have a HP ProBook 4320s which I've recently upgraded to Windows 8.1 Update 1 and am now having a problem trying to install any drivers. As a bit of background, I had Windows 7 Ultimate installed originally, upgraded to Windows 8 Pro last year, and have just upgraded to 8.1 U1.

Initially, I plugged in an iPhone to use iTunes and the iPhone was showing with a yellow exclamation mark and when I tried to install the driver, I got the message:

"Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device.

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it"

I thought it was an Apple specific issue and tried all the usual troubleshooting techniques. Finally, I uninstalled all the USB composite devices and then restarted. They seemed to appear back okay, but now I have two other devices with a yellow exclamation mark (including a built in webcam, so not USB).

I have tried sfc /scannow and running DISM.exe which seemed to find some errors and fixed them, but doesn't seem to be related to this issue and still get the following message every time:

2v3ogli.jpg

Is there anything else I can do apart from trying a refresh / format? Wouldn't like to have to re-install all my 3rd party programs if possible.

Many thanks
Sean

You need to instal the correct driver for this webcam.

Presumably during your upgrades from 7 it retained the original driver.

Now that you have uninstalled all the USB devices it has been uninstalled ?

Try the original Win 7 driver for the HP web cam from the HP support site ?

Windows 8.1 Enterprise is a beaut on tablets....

Just sayin'.

@ OP: Google DriverPack Solution (look for latest release) > extract ALL files from .iso or .exe with 7-zip or the like > point to this directory when updating drivers via Device Manager. Works great 95% of the time.