Sex Offenders Register

New powers will be added to the Sexual Offences Bill today to help the police to crack down on sex offenders who try to evade registration by not informing the police of their change of name or address.

The powers will be introduced through an amendment to the Bill so that they are ready to use as registration technology develops. When the infrastructure is in place, details of offenders on the register may be cross-checked with passport, National Insurance and driving licence records so that any breaches can be identified more quickly.

Since the sex offender's register was introduced in 1997 the government has introduced a series of measures to make it tougher and more effective. The Sexual Offences Bill places further requirements on offenders, including having to supply their National Insurance number when registering.

Home Office Minister Paul Goggins said it is vital that the police get the tools they need to keep track of those who pose a risk both now and in the future.

"We are aware of the public concern around sex offenders who try to evade registration and are developing the technology to improve the checks that can be made on these people. The Sexual Offences Bill is a significant piece of legislation and it is important that it contains the powers so that checks can begin as soon as this work is complete."

The system will be expressly for the purposes of confirming information that sex offenders are required to provide under the notification requirements and not to confirm other intelligence. The police may, however, use the information for the purposes of investigating and prosecuting criminal offences.

The Sexual Offences Bill will also require offenders to register in person every year so photographs and fingerprints can be taken and cut the time period for notification of change of name or address from two weeks to three days.

source: Number 10

What about parents, should they not be informed where these offenders are and what steps should be taken to protect their children......???

Seems to me that we should use the Register to round up all the perverts and string them up by the balls and leave them to be eaten alive by rats. Then again, that wouldnt be nice for the rats.

If anyone takes offence at my strong attitude I dont care, some things shouldnt happen and what these perverts do is one of them.

New powers will be added to the Sexual Offences Bill today to help the police to crack down on sex offenders who try to evade registration by not informing the police of their change of name or address.

Evade registration!! They should all be locked away anyway :angry:

I for one am quite happy to carry I.D. The technology now exists to make one card do multiple tasks. We could in time do away with all our credit cards, club cards, store cards etc. One card could act as a driving licence, carry eye cornea information, offences, blood group, and so on and so on. The card readers could be made so that they only read the information which is relevant to the person doing the reading. For instance a store could only see credit or switch card details etc. If you have nothing to hide then you should not worry. Obviously anyone could accidentally forget their card on occasions, and this should not be punishable, however offenders caught without their card should receive a short sharp sentence, increasing each time they offend. Cards would have anti fraud technology built in, the ability to do this exists now.

As with all this legislation, it has to be carefully administered. It is vital that the lynch mob attitude controlled.

I have just written in another thread:

"My other half is originally from Holland where attitudes are totally different to those here, even though Holland is only half an hour away on EZJet. She was also, before she gave it up, a paediatrician. And yes, such is the ignorance of the British, she was villified as a criminal by the ignorant masses a few years ago when there was all the fuss about child molesters."

It is not nice having your house surrounded by ranting ingoramuses waving all sorts of assault weapons believing that inside there is a female child molester :(

Would the situation you have just described be prevented if the actual child molesters were publicly named and their approximate locations provided to those who needed to know, ie parents of young children.

Being the father of a young child, i would sooner know that there was a pervert on my estate and know that i would have to be extra vigilant rather than go around thinking that all was ok......

Or even better, why let sex offenders back on the street in the first place, keep them all locked up and the sex offenders register wouldn't be needed.

Being the father of a young child, i would sooner know that there was a pervert on my estate and know that i would have to be extra vigilant rather than go around thinking that all was ok......

Remember "vigilant" is but one letter away from "vigilante" which is what we had to put up with when the raging mobs, through the total stupidity of one or two of them, misunderstood the meaning of one single word, thinking paediatrician was synonymous with paedophile, and whipped up the emotions of the remainder.

Note well what I wrote at the start of my previous contribution here and exercise caution in anything connected with this.

i totally agree and think that vigilante's are unacceptable, perhaps the whole area of sentencing needs looking at to avoid the need for the register in the first place.

Time and again it is proved that rehabilitation does NOT work for these people so why do the powers that be persist in releasing them into the community to pray on innocents?

i totally agree and think that vigilante's are unacceptable, perhaps the whole area of sentencing needs looking at to avoid the need for the register in the first place.

Time and again it is proved that rehabilitation does NOT work for these people so why do the powers that be persist in releasing them into the community to pray on innocents?

Plain common sense Morph