BSOD after fixing motherboard, error 0x0000007B

MN896

Dear Forum Members,

My Asus K70IC notebook running 64-bit Windows 7 failed to boot 4 days ago. It was a very hot day and the soldering

of a BGA IC set loose. The problem was fixed by reballing. The notebook is now working perfect but previous Windows

7 installation cannot boot any more. I get BSOD and error 0x0000007B at the beginning of boot process.

I tried system repair tools (no errors), chkdsk /f (no errors), fixing MBR, rebuiling BCD (cannot find

installation) but nothing helped.

Nothing had been changed in the config before switching on again the working notebook except one thing: HDD was

removed. After realizing the notebook does not boot I removed the HDD and verified it in another Win7 notebook to

make sure HDD is OK. It was OK, but I'm afraid the Win7 on another notebook automatically made changes in the BCD

or drive letters. Could it be the main reason?

Please help me preserve the current Win7 installation on my notebook because installed apps store some very

essential information for me which cannot be restored after a clean install. Clean install would be disaster for

me.

Thank you in advance.

That error is generally due to a faulty hard drive controller.

Could it be possible after the reball, you damaged part of the CPU that relates to the HD's pathways, (as you say it works, hooked up to another notebook).

Have you tried booting a Live Linux CD/DVD to get the information off the said drive.