Many changes affecting my computer

I am facing so many problems with my computer and I'm desperate to figure out what could be causing them. Some might be unrelated to my computer, but if more and more keep coming up, then I may need to consider it. I am using Windows 8.1.

Problems with Avast
At first, I wasn't able to update Chrome with Avast's software updater, and then I wasn't even able to scan my computer.

Lost Internet

One day, I completely lost my internet, but the icon on the lower right side of the screen said I was connected. Thankfully I was able to get it back because I used a System Restore, but I still have no idea of what could've caused it.

New Bug in Illustrator

I've been using Illustrator on this computer for a while now, and I never faced any issues. Suddenly, a selection box stays stuck on created text, and I am then unable to edit it.

Unable to Launch Microsoft Publisher

When I try to launch it, a dialog pops up and says "The program can't start because MSVCR90.dll is missing from your computer." I have no idea what that is.

Duplicates of Videos

I used Screencast-O-Matic to make a screencast video. When I exported it to my desktop, two copies of the video were created. This never happened before.

Problem with Chrome

I was on DeviantArt trying to send a note to a friend, but I was told that I timed out. I then decided to just leave it as comment on his profile, and the same thing happened. I did the same in Opera, and I had no issue.

Thumbnail Text look Different

Today when I booted up my computer, the files on my desktop looked different. They usually have a shadow behind them. Today, they were just plain white. I double checked the settings (Control Panel > System and Security > System > Change Settings > Advanced tab > Performance), and "Shadow Over Mouse" was not checked off as it usually is. I changed it back, but I don't know how that setting changed in the first place. I didn't change it.

Some of these issues may not be related to my computer and some may seem so minor, but I'm afraid that more and more will come up. Three of these issues happened just today. I want to know what could be causing this. Earlier, Avast said that my computer was at risk. Right now it says that I'm protected, but I don't believe it because there are so many new changes I'm facing.

I suggest you do a system restore to a time BEFORE the previous one you carried out. Then do a scan with an independent malware scanner such as http://www.trendmicro.co.uk/campaigns/housecall/index_a.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAj-KiBRC48YzhnLSg0D0SJAClOhK3V3PYVvqE77w19idMgCM0IlxVQNmFWUv_HA5_VL2ExBoCM9bw_wcB -just the scanner part not the 2nd item on their web page.

Do you have a full backup of your system? I suspect not.