Free upgrade to Windows 10 for free from Windows 7 ?

tberty

See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about?ocid=WIN10_0_WOL_Hero_Home_Windows-10_Null_01

Free Upgrade Offer

Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!* And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge.

• 2 months later...

I don't get it. You get a free upgrade if you buy an upgrade in the first year?

I think it means that if you have one of the qualifying versions installed (age not specified) then you can upgrade to W10 within one year of its launch.

My own view is that it is not as good a deal as it seems. I have the strong feeling that, as with W8, once installed there is no going back to your previous version without a lot of jggery-pokery well beyond the capabilities of the average user. This non-reversion ruse is used in W8 so that once you've got it, you're stuck with it, love it or hate it. As W10 is built on the W8 framework I'm sure there will be lots in the "hate it" category,including me. I'm hanging on to W7 for as long a possible,I just wish XP was still a viable option.