ms sculpt comfort mouse lags in windows 7

hi,

i recently bought a microsoft sculpt comfort mouse, and am now using it on my thinkpad x230 that is running win 7 64 bit.

however, the annoying thing is that the mouse lags very often, and seemingly at random. the cursor is frequently lagging my hand movement.

i read somewhere that this maybe due to some interference from devices such as mobile phones, nearby routers etc, so i have removed these from my vicinity and that seemed to help somewhat. but the lag is still there, so i thought it might be an issue with the laptop-mouse pair itself.

a check with the Device Manager turns up 2 items with exclamation marks: "bluetooth peripheral device" and "unknown device", both under "Other devices".

does anyone know if these are the causes of my laggy mouse? if so, where can i get their drivers from? (google searches turn up quite ambiguous stuff).

if not, anyone knows what may be wrong?

many thanks.

I have an update.

Upon the advice of a friend, I moved my mouse closer to my laptop. Originally, I placed them about 60-80cm apart; now I have them at about 30cm from each other. Surprisingly, this helped a lot, and the laggy effect seems to have vanished.

Supposedly, a bluetooth mouse has a larger range than a RF mouse, so a range of 80cm shouldn't be a problem at all, right? What is happening here?

It's a little difficult determining the exact cause of the problem but you could help by describing, or copying, the error device manager gives you from this problem. It may indicate a problem, which I suspect, with drivers, however, it may be due to dodgy ports, unreliable bluetooth adapter and so on. I suppose it could also be caused by interference from two different mice though I doubt that. It should be noted that if you have two mice plugged into the laptop only one will take precedence on the machine; computers are not able to operate mutiple mice inputs yet.

Drivers are essential software that help hardware (hard drives, bluetooth adapters) communicate with the software (operating systems such as Windows). Henceforth, if your OS is not detecting or identifying a piece of hardware properly it's probably down to drivers.

The laggy effect you spoke of is more than likely a result of having the mouse too far from the adapter.