Windows Vista hard drive compress didn't quite go as planned

Hi,

I run Windows Vista on my HP laptop. Because my HD is almost full, I decided to use the compress hard drive feature. And after Vista compressed my hard drive I had an additional 10 GB of free space. I was very happy with the results, until I turned off my computer. When I turned my computer back on, I got this error message that said: "Start up manger compressed, press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to restart. But when I pressed those keys, the computer would restart and take me back to the same error message, and not any further. I had the option of pressing F9 or F10, but that would also bring me back to the same message. Fortunately, I had a backup copy of the HD on an external hard drive, and I reloaded that copy using a Windows Vista recovery CD. But I miss those extro 10 GBs of free space. Is there any way that I could have gotten around that "Start up manager compressed" error message?

Thanks!

I'm guessing that you're using your main hard drive as a storage medium as well as the active working drive on your machine.

This being so, I suggest that you transfer at least some of your stored files to another medium such as a memory stick/optical disk and delete them from the main drive. You must, of course, keep a backup of separately stored files as well