Automatic Revert To Win7 Failed

Hytec

A legitimate upgrade of Win10 was installing on a Win7 system when it encountered a C: problem. (I don't recall the exact wording.) The install process then attempted to repair that problem. At about the 25% the Repair process stopped and said it was reverting to the Old Operating System (Win7). Then there were various screens, none of which I remember, followed by a reboot. Reboot proceeded normally showing the initial Win7 screen followed by a black screen showing just the cursor, which was movable with the touchpad. I did not interrupt this condition assuming the revert process was proceeding normally in the background. After about 15 minutes I did a Ctrl-Alt-Del and clicked on Task Manager. That menu disappeared and reverted to the black screen with the cursor. After another ~15 minutes, I again did a Ctrl-Alt-Del, this time I selected Restart from the icon menu in the lower right corner. Again, the reboot process proceeded normally until it stopped with the same condition described above.

Does anyone have an idea what may have happened that prevented the Revert process back to Win7?

BTW, I currently am trying to recover the computer with the Recovery disks created 5 years ago. Fortunately all files have been continuously backed up to an external network drive. But I think the Win10 Revert process should not have failed, and may have a problem. Though I'll concede that the C: drive may have some bad sectors which cobbled the process.

Thanks Gandalph, that's what I ended up doing.

The computer's response had been getting slower over five year's use. I suspect there were corrupted files and/or sectors which the Win 10 installer encountered that its recovery process could not resolve. Unfortunately when the installer attempted to revert to Win7, the entire process stopped during the reboot. Cursor movement was available from the touchpad, but the screen was blank, also the HD was in continuous access. The Ctrl-Alt-Del menu displayed but did not respond when the Task Manager option was clicked. The only active option was Shut Down in the lower right corner.

I'm curious if anyone else had run into this during their Win10 upgrade, and perhaps had insight as to its cause.