Yes, a Dumb Noob Question - how do I tell which hard drive a program's running from?

ulrichburke

Dear Anyone.

So I've got a music program which, with all the associated bits of noisemaking software, was munching my admittedly rather small C drive. Bought a larger drive and am using it as an external hard drive in a caddy.  Drag'n'dropped the DAW program folder from C to D, which is the external drive.  Was going to just delete the copy on C when I thought I'd better check to make sure it runs OK on D.  Here's where things get a bit weird through my own lack of knowledge - bear with the dumbassery coming up! 

The software's never worked on Windows 10 by double-clicking the .EXE file, it was designed for Windows XP 32-bit and never updated.  BUT - by pure chance I discovered if I opened a piece of music I'd written with it, THEN it worked OK.  So I'd been opening a piece of music, renaming it to whatever the new piece was called, deleting all the old content and starting from there.  The error message I always got if I double-clicked the .EXE was OWLRC Exception - String Not Found.  I THINK that's something to do with Adobe, which I don't have on either hard drive, so that puzzled me for starters - didn't understand why a music program should want Adobe.  But as I could do the click-on-old-music-file workaround, I just carried on with that. 

Here goes.  So I created a new music file on Drive D, double-clicked on it and the software opened and worked fine. As did all the noisemaking plugins that were in the same folder as the actual creation software.  Hooray, thought I, I've got it working on D.....  Then I thought - Have I? Or is the file I created defaulting to C and opening the version on drive C even though I've created it on drive D?

So I've got 2 identical software folders on Drives C and D.  Identical contents.  How do I make sure the file I created on Drive D to open the version on Drive D so I can delete the massive (about 60gig which is a lot for my small C drive) folder on Drive C actually IS using the Drive D version and not defaulting to the Drive C version? I don't want to delete the Drive C version and then find none of my music files or software works properly, even though there's an identical copy of the program folder on Drive D.  I can't boot up from Drive D because there's no operating system on it, I was purely storing stuff on it (I should have put a Windows on it, yup, you're right....!) Which puts testing it by booting up from it out.  I know I'm gonna feel even dumber than I do right now when someone answers this - but is there a way of ensuring everything IS being opened from Drive D, and the various DLLs (the noisemaking soft-synth plugins) aren't just defaulting to Drive C and will all stop working if I delete the 60gig Drive C folder?

I know the answer should be obvious.  I just can't think of it!

Yours respectfully

Chris.

Dear Belatucadrus.

It's Quick Score Elite Level 2, though I don't know if that makes a difference.

It's just - if you've got two copies of the same program simultaneously on different active hard drives and files which activate A Copy Of that Program when double-clicked - do they stick to the version on the drive that created them or do they default to the Drive C version? And if that program contains installed sub-programs - in my case, the VSTs - and you've copied them along with the main program - Quick Score - to the second drive, would THEY have taken all their samples and everything along with them, or would THEY be defaulting to drive C? 

See what I mean? I want to know how to tell if it's now OK to delete the Drive C version to free up space or if I'll suddenly discover all my VSTs don't work any more if I do that.  And I've realised I can't think of a way to tell for sure.  I can't disconnect Drive C because the external drive hasn't got an operating system on so can't boot from that. And even thought I created the test file on Drive D, I don't know if it went back to Drive C to find its info., or if it used the Drive D version.  So I don't even know if the VSTs work from Drive D because the Drive C versions might've been being used. 

Any ideas how to tell for sure?

Yours hopefully

Chris.

I'm guessing but I doubt drag and drop of the program files will have worked, I suspect you will need to run the install file for the program to the D drive using whatever installation file that you received the program on. Here is a link to an article I've found that suggests a method for getting around this If you no longer have the disk/download. The only way I can suggest of telling which one is running would be to amend the program name during the installation procedure, call the new one Quick Score D drive or something that will differentiate it from the original and show up when you open a file.

Unfortunately I don't have W10 so can't check this out to verify anything.