Switching to Linux from macOS

symakhan

Hey Guys

I am a graphics design student currently using a MacBook Pro running macOS Mojave. I have been considering switching to Linux for a while now and have researched the subject. I have concluded that Linux is more stable and efficient than macOS or Windows. I have also heard that it is more secure and less prone to viruses.

I would like to know if any of you have any experience with Linux and if so, what distribution do you recommend? I am also curious to know if there are any major differences between Linux and macOS or Windows that I should be aware of before making the switch. As you know, graphics are very important to me as I am a graphic designer, so I need to ensure that Linux can handle my design software before I switch. Currently, I am facing some performance issues on my mac which makes it hard for me to work sometimes. So before I make the switch, I need to be sure that Linux can give me the performance I need. In addition, I also want to know if there are any other benefits of using Linux that I am unaware of. And above all, where can I get coupons or promo codes for Linux?

So please let me know your thoughts on this and whether you think Linux is a good fit for me. Thanks in advance!

I've always liked Mint, its an offshoot of Ubuntu that's designed to be familiar to Windows users and is now quite easy to set up assorted hardware peripherals. I can't comment on MacOs or software as I've never used it and our expert has shuffled off this mortal coil, As to Windows software I've found it better to use Linux specific packages where possible. There is an adapter called Wine that allows Windows software to run on Linux but the results seem hugely variable, some programs work well with vine, others don't.

Main advantages, it's free as are most of the software packages. It's also possible to run a copy from a USB stick so you can evaluate it without making any irreversible changes to your hard drive.

Suggest you check out the Linux Mint forum as this is more their area of expertise.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Guys

A few days ago about switching to Linux operating system. I found helpful feedback from this community and I am thankful to you all. I also searched on Google and YouTube to get some more information about Linux OS. After doing all my research, I have decided that this is the best choice for me. Also, I am sharing all the information I gathered here to help others who are also considering switching. So the benefits of using Linux OS:

1. Security: Linux OS is generally more secure than other operating systems because it has strong permission system that allows you to easily control who can access your files and data.

2. Customization: Unlike Windows or MacOS, there are thousands of flavors of Linux ready for you to customize according to your needs and preferences.

3. Compatibility: Linux OS is compatible with most hardware, meaning you won’t have to worry about finding drivers or software that works with your system.

4. Open Source Software: You can access thousands of open source applications and packages available for free, so you don't have to spend money on proprietary software.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...