[resolved] - File format

I do not know if I have got the correct forum,but was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is ok to have Fat 32 on the primary drive © and to have NTFS on the 2nd HDD . Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of this. Thanks. This is my first post so hope it is ok.

yes as long as you are reading off the NTFS drive and onto the FAT32 drive, you should be fine. Just remember to install the OS onto the NTFS partition , because if you simply install an OS onto the FAT32 of your primary HDD, you won't be able to see/write to your NTFS partition on your secondary HDD.cons are that FAT drive cant see NTFS but NTFS can see a FAT drive so you can only write/see one way.welcome to the forum Badger.

Thank you for your reply. My OS which is xp Home is on my primary Hard drive which is C and which is Fat 32. I have installed a second Hard drive a Seagate I went to their site and the wizard formatted the drive as NTSF (I did not get a choice) Is this ok ? or ,from your reply will I not be able to use it for data and backups etc. Will I have to convert it to Fat 32 for it all to work together.?

Guest Grim Reaper

i am currently running with 3 40gb hdd's, two are ntfs and one is fat32. The main drive is ntfs and can read all three hdds. You should have not problems running with one as ntfs and one as fat32.

Thanks for your replys. I seem to have got two conflicting answers!

I would like to change my C drive to NTFS but I am very wary. Everything is working at present and I hate to temp providence. You know what they say "if it isn't broken...." Can you give me any reassurane? Thanks. I see I have been given a Male persona!!

Guest Grim Reaper

in my experience (and i may be wrong) if you have a fat32 and an NTFS drive working together with XP there will be no problems. It shouldnt matter which file system your os is on. If however you are running 98, it will only be able to see the fat32 partitions and not the ntfs as it simply cannot read an NTFS file system.

Partition magic 8.0 is THE utility to get hold of if you want to easily convert from NTFS to FAT or from FAT to NTFS.

With regards to the if it aint broke question, the choice is entirely yours, there is no real performance advantage to be gained from converting unless you are trying to create some extremely large files (4gb or above) as FAT32 can only cope with 4gb file sizes.

Guest Grim Reaper

ellas is stuck in the 17th century and thinks that all women are still in the kitchen and therefore cant be using computers!!

Of course, i myself wouldnt contemplate subscribing to this view!