£100 Budget...

Craig

I have set myself a challenge!

£100 to spend on building a fully working computer base unit!

The unit will need the following:

Motherboard

CPU

Heatsink and Fan (if not included with CPU

RAM

Hard Disk

CD ROM

Tower Case

PSU (if not included in case)

As it stands, i have a motherboard bought for £20, and a hard disk which is my spare.

The motherboard supports intel 478 socket and SDRAM.

Challenge

Can you now help me buy showing me places where i can buy my remaining components for £80?!

Thanks!

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

I'll donate a "$hit" ATI Radeon 9100 LE 64MB DDR P.O.S. if that helps...I'll even pay P&P....this thing cost me £60 odd quid a few months ago....But you MUST incorperate it into the final build :)

ATI...My ar$e!!

Cheers.

Shirl.

I'll donate a "$hit" ATI Radeon 9100 LE 64MB DDR P.O.S. if that helps...I'll even pay P&P....this thing cost me £60 odd quid a few months ago....But you MUST incorperate it into the final build :)

ATI...My ar$e!!

Cheers.

Shirl.

That would be smashing if you are really serious about the donation!

Guest Shirley_Crabtree

ATI...My ar$e!!

Cheers.

Shirl.

That would be smashing if you are really serious about the donation!

And that's a smashing blouse you're wearing ;)

Shirls.

PS you'd better PM me your home addy ....gotta know where to send it :P

Does this computer also need an operating system?  :huh:

I already have an operating system to put on it!

If anyone has any unwanted hardware that may help with the system build and possibly get me under the £100 budget, i would be truly greatful.

Surely without some objectives this is a task with little value? I could find a PC to buy for less than £100, what it could do is a different story.

If you had stated you wanted to build a PC that would run Win98/Office 2000/Internet at a reasonable speed using new/used components bought for market value that would've been better.

Anyone can beg/borrow/steel bits to build a computer.

Surely without some objectives this is a task with little value?  I could find a PC to buy for less than £100, what it could do is a different story. 

If you had stated you wanted to build a PC that would run Win98/Office 2000/Internet at a reasonable speed using new/used components bought for market value that would've been better.

Anyone can beg/borrow/steel bits to build a computer.

You are totally right.

To begin with, beg/borrow/steel bits is defeating the object of building a PC for £100.

As for the build purpose, it is to be used as a backup computer, which should be able to run Windows 98, and office XP and browse the internet.

If i were to build an AMD system, a Duron running at 1Ghz would be sufficient for the purpose. So i shall start looking at the options available to me.

Compaq Deskpro Ens Pentium II 400Mhz System Unit

Compaq Deskpro Ens Pentium II 400Mhz 192Mb Ram, 6.1Gb HDD, CD Drive, FDD, Sound On Board, 2 x USB Port, Desktop Case

Price: £65.00 inc. p&p & VAT

Not bad for a compaq ;)

B) Where from?

Give us a tenner and I'll tell you :D

Try:

http://www.rdc-shop.co.uk/shops/main.php?sh=1&sc=50&sb=0

http://www.rdc-shop.co.uk/shops/main.php?sh=1&sc=100&sb=300