Puzzled

trackrat

Last night while the wife was on the computer the usb logitec keyboard & mouse both stopped working so she pressed the reset button and it came up as do you want to boot normally or into safe mode etc, so she chose boot normally and it froze. I could not boot into safe mode so I tried to do a xp repair and it told me C:/ was not a valid drive. So I tried a re-install and it said C:/ does not exist ????

So of to bed cursing it as I thought the HD had died, however this morning I switched it on and it was running perfectly.

I am using an AS Rock mobo, has anyone else had any problems with these boards.

A friend has a new Asrock MoBo. It tells him that he has no operating system each time he boots up so he presses the reset to get it to recognise WXP which is installed. Sometimes it then tells him that there is no keyboard/mouse (when there is) and that the DVD ROM is a CD ROM and it will only see CDs.

He took the first board back to the shop as, after setting up and using it a couple of times, it overheated and caught fire. :mellow: :mellow:

stick a blank floppy in and go to my computer,right click the floppy drive icon,then choose format,you then have the option to create a MS-DOS start up disc do that and thats your bootable floppy,then follow the instructions

Download the FLASH.EXE and copy FLASH.EXE to the just created boot disk in step 1.

Download an updated ASRock BIOS file (WinZip format with .zip file extension) from the web site, unzip the BIOS file and save to the disk you created in step 2.

Boot from the disk you created in step 3.

At the "A:\" prompt, type FLASH, hit space bar once, and type BIOS file name then press <Enter>. For example: A:\FLASH K7VT2_1.20 <Enter> then you will see a message "Please wait for BIOS loading ROM".

After 1 minute, you will see the message "Flash ROM Update Completed - Pass", then you have finished upgrading the BIOS.

After finishing upgrading the BIOS, please remove the floppy disk. Restart your system and press <F2> to enter the BIOS setup utility during boot up.

In Exit menu, please select "Load Default Settings" and press <Enter> to continue.

Select "Exit Saving Changes" and press <Enter> to exit the BIOS setup utility.

Now, system is booting up with new BIOS.

we need to know what bios you have already before we do anything so go to all programs,accessories,system tools,system information and it should tell you your bios version/date.

At the "A:\" prompt, type FLASH, hit space bar once, and type BIOS file name then press <Enter>. For example: A:\FLASH K7VT2_1.20 <Enter>

I have created the startup disc and added the flash exe and the BIOS update, the downlooad version is 2.20.

Can someone confirm that the BIOS name I need to type in is A:\FLASH K7S8X_2.20.

As i do not want to kill my mobo.

Regards Alan

there both for the same board both have the sata card option included,if its not the right one it wont install,there is allways a risk with a bios upgrade,although small,only you can decide if its worth it,if you keep having the boot problems then it probaley is but I'm afraid its down to you,its easy for me to say do a bios upgrade but its your mobo not mine.