autopopup folder in Window Temp file in Win98SE

cerio

Hi,

my daughter's Win98SE Pentium3 PC had a problem when she browsed the internet. I became unuseable, just pretty much came to a standstill. I discovered, eventually, that the culprit was a folder in her C drive/Windows/Temp folder called 'autopopup'. It contained about 1.3GB of stuff and seemed to cause the IE browser to pretty much sieze up. When the autopopup folder was deleted, the Internet Explorer browser began to work again without problems.

I notice that each time IE is opened, whether dialled up to the internet or not, the 'autopopup' folder is re-created, though empty on creation, in the Windows/Temp folder. Nothing awful seems to have been caused by deleting it but it does come back and presumably fills up over time if ignored.

Can anyone tell me what this folder is, anything about it really, such as how to ensure it doesn't cause the problems it did before? Do I just continue to repeatedly delete it manually every so often?

Thank you.

I think She's looking for the Hijack this log which if you run it will list all that's going on and they can talk you through the actions you need to take. Have't got the details to hand but I'm sure they will fill you in?

Just remembered there's a section on the main page if you scroll down to Hijack and spyware removal and go from there.

Aha. Thank you Doug.

I have now downloaded Hijackthis which I will take to my daughter's and run on her machine so I can post a log. This won't be for some days as she lives nowhere near me but I will do it as soon as possible. Let's hope it finds out what's needed.

Thank you for all the help... wish me luck. Will get back to here with the log soon.

Don't you just love helpful forums!!! :-)

C