Outlook Express

Hi folks

Got a problem

I can send/receive e-mails with my hotmail account on OE. However, i can receive with blueyonder, but can not send.

Pop3 and Smtp settings are correct and i have contacted Blueyonder who have no reported problems with outgoing mail and they even set up my account there end to check it was not an outlook express problem. Needless to say they e-mailed on my account with OE.

I have also repaired OE. Could not carry out a sfc /scannow as there is a bug with XPSP2 (Build 2082) with regards to that aspect.

I dont know if it is a XPSP2 (Build 2082) problem or other people are having problems?

see screen shot below for the exact error message

post-49-1078699228.jpg

I use outlook and I don't have outlook express set up.... but one of my email accounts on outlook requires outgoing server authentication. To get to that I go to Tools > accounts > change > More settings > outgoing server.

But it might be different in outlook express... and that might not be the problem anyway! :huh:

madboy, is this definately an OE error? Is there any possibility that you have a firewall (or depending on your broadband setup a router) which is blocking outgoing SMTP packets? Don't forget the built in XP one.

Have you tried using the account with any other mail client (Netscape handles mail as does Opera, or even something like Pegasus).

Obviously if another package can send mail, then the problem would appear to be with your OE.

Rather than a repair, have you tried removing OE totally, then starting again.

Regards. Mr. M.

Mr M

is that not a bit drastic Removing OE?

I dont know what port hotmail uses to send? as hotmail can send so i assume like you say that there is a problem with OE

pondering here, have looked on the beta testers news forums and some are having the same problems as me

I wonder if a new critical update has caused this and the glitch has just surfaced?

was also wondering that if i do remove OE (and am loathe do so) would the same problem be there when re-installed?

Also you have to remember at the moment that i can not use the sfc /scannow facility

I think this is to much of a coincidence that other users are now having problems with OE

I have e-mailed M$ with the problem and obviously is a technical glitch with sending so will track the issue.

It is not just a glitch then with XPSP2

Ok madboy, don't forget Hotmail uses an HTTP mail setting as opposed to POP/SMTP.

I agree with you about not wanting to remove OE just yet, so perhaps the best option will be for you to install a different mail client and see if that can send mail. At least if that works, you will know the problem is with OE and not elsewhere.

I am pretty sure that port 25 is the standard SMTP port.

Regards. Mr. M.