Wired Network

trackrat

I have a D-Link router wired to two computers, the internet and E-Mail work fine but I cannot seem to enable File & Printer sharing.

The two computers share the keyboard, mouse & monitor through a KVM switch.

Following the set up from the CD that came supplied with the router the internet side works perfectly, then I was told to use the network wizard to enable file & printer sharing, I have tried this four times without success.

Can anyone give me a set of simple instructions to follow to manually set up the sharing of files & printer. As this is my first network I need easy instructions to follow.

Regards Alan :dummies:

Hello trackrat,

the first thing you will need to do when setting up a local network, is to disable any firewalls on your computers. Remember to do this after any required reboots, you will be able to configure the firewalls after your network is running correctly. Do not worry about the firewall on your router, as this will be ,by default, applied to your WAN (internet) port, and not the internal network. This firewall will also protect your computers while you have the local ones switched off.

Next have a look at one of the links provided by spikeychris, in the pinned section of this board. I suggest this one Click Here

This link should cover most of the things you need to set, to enable your local network. I should point out though, that as you are using a linksys router, you will almost certainly be using DHCP, which means that you will NOT need to go through the part where you manually assign an IP address and Subnet.

The parts you need to pay attention to, are the computer names and the workgroup name.

Once this has been done, you will need to "share" parts of each computer on the network. It is not a good idea to share the entire drive (in fact I'm not sure XP will even allow you to), so decide on which directories you wish to share, or create a new directory just for this purpose, and right click on it/them and set the sharing permissions to allow it to be shared. Note you can allow certain access rights for sharing, but I suggest you stick with the defaults for now.

You should now be able to see each computer on your network. Once this is done, you can re-enable your firewalls, and configure them to allow the required local network access for your computers.

If you are still having problems, then post back, and we can take it from there.

Hope this helps. Regards. Mr. Mouse.

Hello trackrat,

. Once this is done, you can re-enable your firewalls, and configure them to allow the required local network access for your computers.

If you are still having problems, then post back, and we can take it from there.

Hope this helps. Regards. Mr. Mouse.

Both computers are tied to the network but I have to disable both firewalls ( they are both ZA ) to file share or share the printer, can you tell me how to give access to computer 2 to use the printer without disabling the firewalls.

Regards Alan

Hello again trackrat, you do not need to close down Zonealarm, simply configure it for your local network.

Bring up the Zonealarm control panel, and select the firewall option, and the main tab. Adjust the setting for the "trusted zone" to medium. Then select the zones tab, and at the bottom click on the add button.

I assume you are using the dhcp option from your router, so you will need to add an "IP range". You will have to check on your router, or it's documentation as to what IP range it uses for dhcp, but when you have found out, put the start and finish addresses in the two boxes.

If you have statically assigned your IP addresses, then select the single IP Address option instead, and just enter the address of the other pc.

You should then be all hunky dory.

Regards. Mr. M.