Direct connection

expertec

I have two PCs and a parallel cable, I want to connect them together share files, printer, and internet, if that is possible. Number 1 computer (the one with printer and net connection) is running Windows XP Pro, number 2 computer is running Windows ME. I have a few questions:

Do the parallel ports have to be on the same setting (currently both are ECP) and which is best for this?

Which protocols need to be installed, is it jus TCP/IP or will I need IPX/SPX or other protocols?

When do I connect the cable, do I plug turn the computers off first or do I do it during the setup?

Do I run new connection wizard on the XP pc first, and do I run Direct Cable Connection on the ME pc, or do I do ir un the Home Networking Wizard?

Expertec, linking two pc's together for basic file transfer via parallel cable is just about OK, but I really would not want to do this for the sort of use you propose, in fact I'm not even sure you can, but having never actually tried it, I may need correcting.

Your best bet would be to invest in two cheap basic NIC's (Network Interface Cards), unless one or both of your pc's already has them fitted, and then connect them using an ethernet cable (crossover type required to connect pc to pc). You can get the NIC's for under a tenner these days, and a 5m cable should cost you just a couple of quid.

Once these are installed, you will only need the tcp/ip protocol (ipx/spx is a Novell networking protocol). It should then simply be a case of running the ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) wizard on your Internet connected machine, and then using it's outputted disc to setup the other one. In practice though, you will also probably have to tweak a few things.

Hope this helps. Mr. M.

I was thinking of using a parallel cable because I've got one already, I won't have that PC for very long anyway so I wasn't planning to spend any money on it. I will try this, it should be OK for file and print sharing (I have done this before, but so long ago...) it would be too slow for internet so I won't bother about that :(

Hi again expertec, I have done a bit of research, and yes it is "possible" to share your internet this way, but is a real PITA. To do it you would need additional software, which would cost you more than the network cards as above, plus a good knowledge of networking and network protocols.

In order to link two pc's together for file sharing via serial connection, you will need to have DCC (Direct Cable Connection) installed on the ME machine. It comes with the setup disc, and can be added through the add/remove programs box, under the windows setup tab.

I fished out a few links for you, in case you need some more info.

Windowsnetworking

M$ XP Dcc

M$ KB814981 this link runs to 8 pages on the subject.

Mr. M.

• 6 months later...