W2K Recycle Bin Malfunction

If you right click on the desktop shortcut and select properties, you should be able to find a check box called "Do not move files to the Recycle Bin", this effectively turns off the recycle bin.

I am hoping that if you do this then reboot and turn it back on again and reboot, the bin will regain it's functionality.

The reason you may not be able to see the files, is because you do not actually have rights to them at the moment.

Also, can you tell me what type of formatting you have on your discs (NTFS or FAT)

Mr. M.

The folders are named "Recycled".  When I rigt click on properties I do not find an owership tab as I thought I would.

This should all come under the heading of "security".

You need to ensure that the everyone group has all permissions to this directory.

Then click the advanced button and tick the box which says "reset permissions on all child objects .....etc" and apply this, so that you have rights to see the files.

Mr. M.

The "Do not move to the recycle bin" has always been unchecked.

What I would actually like you to do, is to check it (thus turning off the recycle bin).

Then reboot. Then uncheck the box (turning the bin back on again) then reboot again. I am hoping that this will restore the functionality of the bin.

Next Question, if you right click on the folder called recycled, and select properties, do you see a tab marked security? (I have a horrible feeling that as you are using FAT, this is an option which is not available.) If you select this tab, you should then see who has permissions to the folder and files.

I have attached an example.

Mr. M.

post-27-1081092732.jpg

I was looking through the HELP section under "start" and it confirms that you only have the security, or rights settings, with NTFS.

I will try checking the recycle bin, rebooting, unchecking, rebooting and let you know.

Are you comfortable using DOS?

If the above fails, I would be tempted to reboot from a win98 floppy and rename the recycled bin, then see if windows creates a new one at boot up. If it dosn't then I would try to manually create a fresh one.

If you need instructions on how to do this, then let me know.

Mr. M.

PS If you don't have a 98 boot disc I can tell you how to create one of those as well.

VICTORY FOR THE MOUSE!!!

I did as you suggested, rebooting after each change, and the bin corrected itself.

I really appreciate your time and effort and wish there was some way I could repay you in kind for your help. Everyone on the forum is always helpful.

I do not have the depth of knowledge some of you do, but I will browse the forum when I can to see if I can put 2 cents in and possibly pass the favor along.

Again, thank you to everybody that pitched in to help me.