Printer Sharing

Hi all

My printer is an Epson Stylus Photo 790, and it is connected to my XP home system

I all so have a w2k system networked to the XP system via a Netgear RT324 router.

The two PC's work work fine together on the network, All the drives i want mapped are mapped etc...

The problem is when i want to print from the w2k system it does not print, i get the normal epson print options box come up where i can select quality etc...

but it shows the ink cart's as greyed out.

Printer sharing in enabled as per screen grab

print.jpg

On that grab you see the additional drivers button, well on clicking this button you get this

print1.jpg

So i ticked the bottom box to install a w2k driver (which it took off of the printer cd rom)

But when you go back in there it shows the box as un ticked. (but i don't know if i should be messing with that stuff)

Now i know that my hardware is ok cos when i had xp on the w2k system it worked with out me having to mess around with it.

Can any one tell me where i am going wrong?

All the best

Tony

have you installed the printer on the win2k machine? my knowledge on networking is extremely limited but last time on a network i had to install the printer before it worked on the client pc. went to control panel add printer pointed it to the machine where the printer was installed through network neighborhood and it installed on the client too. apologies if all that was rubbish but as i said i hardly know anything about networking.

No it does not sound like rubbish, but i have told the w2k system where the printer is.

When i click print from the w2k system the epson software/driver pops up as it would with my xp system but a lot of the options are greyed out and it just does nothing :-( but when i go back to my xp system the print job is in the print spool.

Tony

Hi

Ok i have removed all traces of the printer from the w2k system.

Then went through the set up to add another printer,

i ticked the box to say that it was a printer on the network, then i browsed to the printer on my xp system, all was fine.

then i go to print something and all looks normal, but it does not print.

The w2k system defiantly sent the print job and the xp system received it,

below is the print que from my xp system

print2.jpg.

So i am thinking that it is my xp system that is at fault, but i am pulling my hair out trying to find out what is wrong.

Any more idea's Please

All the best

Tony

Hello Tony, forgive me for butting in, but just a quick thought (I have to admit to not knowing too much about xp), I notice the print job has gone to the printer as a guest account. Have you checked to ensure that the "guest" account on the xp machine has full rights to use and administer the printer. This may also be why some of your options are grayed out.

One other thing to try, is to, as already mentioned, download and install the latest drivers, or try to reinstall the drivers from the cd you have, rather than from the network.

Finally, if at all possible can you try to connect the printer to the xp machine using the parallel port as opposed to usb, just to rule out if this is a usb issue.

Good luck, Mr. Mouse.

Hi

Some one else has said about the Guest account aswell.

But i do not know how to give the Guest the rights it needs.

I am waiting for a answer on that one.

If i look at my user accounts i have admin and guest, but guest is turned off.

I have just turned guest on but it still will not print.

So if any one help on how to give the Guest account the rights it needs.

All the best

Tony

i think the problem goes back to the 1st post you made, the 2nd screen capture according to the m/s site you're supposed to check the last box to install win2k driver you said that its unchecked when you checked?

but i also think you have to set the permissions for the other computer to use the printer. that s why its connecting as guest. Go here and scroll to the bottom and follow the instructions for the security permissions.

Ummm

Thanks for the link Prince

After reading it all and saying to myself "yep done that"

I get to the bottom about the user permissions,

"And think right here we are"

Then i find that i don't have a tab for Security,

Maybe only XP pro has this???

Tony

Thanks both off you for your help so far.

I am logged in as Administrator on both machines These are the only two accounts i have ever used.

When the w2k system boots it just boots up as normal and then you get a box saying that it is logging into network (but no details) and that is it. When the desk top is there i can explore both PC's.

My know how on networking is very limited, all i had to do was tell both systems what to share and then do the drive mapping.

The router does all the ip stuff.

Thanks &

All the best

Tony

Hi again

I just had a look at the w2k system and the account is User Name West Group Administrators

And the XP system Account Name West Computer Administrator

Does this help ??

Tony

jus had a flash of inspiration ;)

i m using xp home , when i normally right click a folder i don't get the security tab under the folder properties but once i started the computer in safe mode and when i went to folder properties lo and behold a security tab!

maybe its the same for printers too ? go and give it a try. :)

hint: press f8 a few times during post messages to get into safe mode ;)