I hate Windows Sharing!!

xadamz23

Hello,

I recently upgraded a PC from 98 to XP SP2 and now I cant get sharing to work.

Computer MAIN is running XP SP2.

Computer Laptop is running ME (yuck)

I have MAIN set up to use simple file sharing, I have the Guest account ON, I have both PCs in the same workgroup.

On MAIN when I go into "My Network Places" then double-click on "Laptop", I get an error message.

On Laptop when I go into "My Network Places" then double-click "Entire Network", I get "Unable to browse the network".

Sharing was working between these 2 pcs before I upgraded the one to XP.

But I cant even browse the network from the Laptop.

Any ideas?

SP2 does this, it's the firewall as expertec mentioned.

Go to My Network Places and Set up a home network, then make sure you run the set up wizard and use the floppy disk option, this will configure both machines correctly.

I tried that too. It didnt work. I also made sure to turn off Windows Firewall.

Thanks though

Have you double checked the basics? Are the Ip addresses and subnet masks correct? Can you ping between the computers to verify that the network is working? That sort of thing.

I have found that, particularily with older M$ OS's, it is often required to remove all the networking componants (tcp/ip, file and printer sharing, etc. ) and reinstall them after a reboot in order to get a network working properly again after changes have been made to it.

Hope this helps. Regards. Mr. M.

• 3 weeks later...

You didn't say what error message you're getting.

Is it \\ “Computer name” is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.” (copied from Monica X's question).

If so, this Microsoft Knowledge Base Article might help.

If you call Microsoft for support on this, give them the specific error, and this KB Article and they should waive the support fee.

I hope someone tries this soon, so I know if it fixes this problem!

Sincerely,