Microsoft's View Of Linux Becoming Mature

vrthompson

What kind of threat do you think Linux is to Micorsoft  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of threat do you think Linux is to Micorsoft

• bankruptcy
    • partial loss of business
    • none at all

M$ is so well established in the mind of the consumer that any other O/S stands almost no chance of changing that.

Only if oodles of cash were to be spent on advertising and convincing Joe Public that another system was better would M$ even have a chance of being toppled. The thing there is that M$ alternatives don't have that sort of money.

Got to disagree. Linux is making huge inroads into government and business usage. Micro$haft are worried. Using Linux at work, on the insistence of managers who have realised that it is more secure and saves thousands of dollars in licenses and software costs, is permeating into homes via the workforces. Once schools start using it too, for the same reasons, it will be just a few years before the only Windows users will be those with more money than sense.

Linux has actually been a 'mature' system for a long time. It clearly needs to have an equivalent GUI to knock M$ off the store shelves altogether but I think it's getting close. Am I right, Linux users ?

Partial loss of business, I think for the moment Linux will continue to attract more users, but not make a massive difference until Longhorn comes out.

When that happens I think a lot of people will not upgrade, they will switch to using Linux instead.

BTW, I am a Linux user (but only part-time).

I believe that if Linux shows ANY signs of becoming a serious rival to the Windows product(s) some very aggressive marketing from M$ will take place that Linux would have no chance of matching; for lack of funds, if nothing else.

-pops-, do you have any experience of using Linux?

None at all. I did think about installing it as a try out but was more inspired to become a beta tester for what came to be WXP so Linux got a bit left behind as far as I was concerned. As things are now, I am a bit past all of this experimentation. I'll just go for the easy life :)

Ther is no real comparision as M$ is a a commercial product whilst Linux is mainly not owned by any one person or business in it's Entirety.

Some businesses sell a customised version but Linux is available to anyone for free if they want it, including the source code which they came customise themselves if they have the knowhow.

Linux is also used extensively in the developing word as, even a purcahsed copy, is not expensive. It can also be used in the same manner as M$ windows via a number of GIU's

A lot of Unix & ex Unix users also use Linux as it has considerable simularities.

Partial loss of business - It will never make inroads into the home as people use Windows in it's various incarnations at school/work.

The more like Windows it becomes the easier it will be to convince the public to buy it or If M$ tries to licence "Home Windows" on a yearly basis as has been suggested I think(?) then people would make the switch.

Also if Linux came pre-loaded at Dixons (shudder) etc for less than a same spec windows PC it would take off.

I think Linux has a good chance of taking at least some portion of M$'s base.

I have heard all kinds of good things about it.

I used to work for Symantec (Norton Products) and all of the Support Tech's had it on their computers and most preferred it.

I hope to get it myself but I haven't had the time to learn enough about how to run both Win XP and Linux on the same system to do it yet.

I really don't like Win XP. I did like 98 and 2000 but probably because I didn't know there was anything else. :rolleyes:

I think that M$ thinks that Linux is a huge pain in the butt and that M$'s only chance of continuing to hold the western world by the short and curlies is to get their heads together with processor manufacturers and apply Fritz chip technology so that people's machines will only run Windows. I think they've tried it already and the manufacturers told them to take a hike. :D