nLite 0.99beta just for XP

Chris

Ok, it seems that this release is almost rock solid on XP but it's not that good on 2k or 2k3...why...well because when i was adding new features and changing the routines i didn't have any time (and forgot) to test all kinds of Windows. So, considering that majority of you is using it on XP, the damage is not that big but for others i apologize and i'm assuring you that i'm working on a problem and the new fixed release will be out in a few days.

As far as XP is concerned, there is only few GUI bugs, but that's not critical and you can use it safely.

More | Here

Sure...

Default Installations of Windows XP are very big, you are limited to what you can install and most of what is installed may not be needed. So the question begs to be answered "Why install it in the first place"?

The answer would be you don't have to.

Nlite allows you to strip, rip, extract alot the contents of Windows XP, services, apps etc and will create an ISO file significantly smaller. The install of XP will take less time and you'll probably notice an increase in performance as XP Icandy has been zapped, plus services etc.

It's a specific user wantabiltiy. Either you want to "tweak XP" or you don't.

Nlite also allows you to slipstream SP's, create an unatended install, install Hotfixes, install drivers...

Still in BETA!

Well, I don't have an immediate need for it. Being now one of the "if it ain't broke etc" persuasion, I'm reasonably happy with the systems I have. I'm a bit past the days of messing about and tweaking, although I used to do it a lot.

In addition, people I build machines for want the O/S as it is out of the box :)

Well, I don't have an immediate need for it. Being now one of the "if it ain't broke etc" persuasion, I'm reasonably happy with the systems I have. I'm a bit past the days of messing about and tweaking, although I used to do it a lot. 

In addition, people I build machines for want the O/S as it is out of the box :)

I would be too worried about what potential damage I might do. Since installing SP2 my computer seems like lightning to me. Maybe it isn't, but I'm happy.

Guest be@vis

The i386 is there - I know that because I copied it to a separate partition on my hard drive - I tend to plan for the un-expected i.e. self combusting discs and the like.

Guest be@vis

Thanks for the information, very much appreciated. One more question, if I may.

Am I correct in assuming that, should I go ahead with it, this would be the same as a re-install and that I should also need to re-install all my programmes?

Guest be@vis

In view of your last sentence, I have one absolutely final question.

Should it all go pear shaped, will it be possible for me to put everything back as it is at present using the drive image I created with "Acronis True Image"? Sorry for being so obtuse about all this.

Success.I've done it now and, so far, the heavens have not fallen in on me, quite the contrary in fact, and everything is running smoothly. It all went so well that I can hardly believe how easy it was to do . If I can do it then anyone can, but I think I'll hang on to my old drive image for just a little while longer - no point in tempting fate.