SMART - problem ?

A question for the intelligent ones

This old machine runs Win 98.

I downloaded DiskCheckup recently and by adding the included smartvsd.vxd to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS I have at last (after many years) got the ability to see the SMART info re. my H/D :D

BUT I was a bit alarmed to say the least that I had a warning flagged by it ! :o :o :o for :-

0A Spin Retry Count WARNING

Threshold 97

Value 100

Worst 100

Data 0

So I checked it with AIDA32 which says - OK: Value is normal

DO I HAVE A PROBLEM - as my values are near the threshold ? :unsure:

Any advice gratefully received.

Don't know if I can even get a new H/D that my mobo will support !

Current H/D is a UDMA 2 (ATA-33) Seagate 8.2 MB (unformatted) and the mobo is a Gigabyte GA-686BX.

Which antique shops sell 8 gig drives nowadays ?

I've just tried out DiskCheckup and AIDA on another 20 Gig Seagate H/D (down the road) which unlike mine's 5 years of hard graft is only 2 years old and hasn't had a lot of use !

Surprisingly, the results for it on that particular test from DiskCheckup was WARNING !

Threshold 90

Value 100

Worst 100

Data 0

AIDA though gave it a clear bill of health.

I've borrowed/installed Ontrack SystemSuite 4 and am just running its SmartDefender - extended test at the moment.

I'll post back with the results, but I just wonder if the problem is to do with the relatively high thresholds on Seagate drives ?

SystemSuite didn't tell me anything except that it didn't fail any tests.

Anyone know what the thresholds mean ?

Are they set in the drive at build ?

Anyone want to try DiskCheckup - free from http://www.passmark.com - only 40k zip, as well - to see if they get any different answers to AIDA ? and post the results.

Madboy would be a good tester - with his new kit

This from the site

DiskCheckup displays the current values of the SMART attributes, along with the Threshold value for that attribute. If any attribute value is close to or below the threshold, the drive is no longer reliable and should be replaced.

Possibly as an older system the threshold and pass values will be close anyway :huh:

At least the figures are still higher than the threshold. <_>

I've been doing a bit of research on this and have put together from various sources - what all the SMART attributes mean.

0A Spin retry count

Indicates number of times disk was unable to spin platters up on first attempt (lower values mean more retries). The raw value indicates the amount of retries.

My raw value is Zero, which I think means I haven't had any retries yet ?

If so, I just have a very high threshold ? (for extra-safety ?)

This would seem to be the same as the other Seagate drive we tested.

mark2

The answer I got from the Passmark Forum !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:37 pm Post subject: DiskCheckup "WARNING"

When we originally wrote DiskCheckup, we thought that it might be a useful feature to warn users when an attribute fell to within a certain limit close to the threshold (within 10%, I think). We called this a WARNING. The idea was that a warning would alert users to imminent failure before an actual fail condition was detected.

However, due to the recent amount of support mail concerning warnings, and the huge variety of drives and attribute thresholds, we believe that the feature is most likely misleading and we will be removing it in the next version, which will be available from the PassMark website within the next few days.

I agree that the threshold value of 97 seems strange, but many thresholds we've seen in testing are not 'rounded' numbers. This is the threshold value that the drive manufacturer has set. SMART attributes and thresholds represent a normalised set of values based on reliability metrics which vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and drive to drive. Though these values give the end user an approximation of drive reliablility, their full meaning is best understood by the manufacturers.

As to whether your hard drive is on the way out, it is difficult to say. The 'Spin Retry Count' attribute is certainly dangerously close to the threshold, however, it may have been sitting at this level for some time now. I would suggest monitoring this attribute over the next few weeks to see if you notice a decline. If the attribute does indeed fall below the threshold, then it is time to start worrying.

Regards,

Fergus Deffely,

PassMark Software

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be watching it closely then !!! :( :( :(