Site Moderation

Guest spook

Does site moderation require relaxing?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Does site moderation require relaxing?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Dunno.
    • Don't care.

Guest spook

If this post is necessary it'll speak for itself as to why it was started as a new topic.

Some questions:

Why the large number of moderators?

What's their actual mandate?

How do you become a moderator?

Are the perks nice?

If this issue has been raised elsewhere then I apologise. I only felt further clarification would help in some instances, to better understand what is, and what is not acceptable when posting.

PS - I know there's a Pinned Topic asking for suggestions towards improving the site but a poll allows for anonymity whilst posting a typed response does not.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cookie

I voted no because I think it's great as it is.

(Except for Madboy, who lives in a world of his own :P :D :D :D :lol: )

We have the right balance of moderators and if one leaves the site then I will be next in line, WON'T I CRAIG? :D

It’s not really a large number of moderators, as we are not often all online at any one time. So any moderating done is moderately!

I think the number of moderators to 'regular members' ratio is fine. I don’t really think of myself as a moderator or admin, more like someone who just posts, but has the added ability to 'put things in line' when needed.

At the moment moderators / admins have been told to use their discretion with regards to moderating posts / topics. If one moderator is unsure, he will normally get in touch with another moderator / admin for another opinion.

With the above in mind, new forum rules will be introduced with the 'new beginning' and guidelines will be set for moderators to follow.

We have discussed how to become a moderator before, but for those who don’t want to go in search for that topic, the answer to come from that question was "carry about your business on the forum, and when the admin / mod group thinks it is time to add another mod, you will be noticed!".

I hope this helps you,

Craig.

"carry about your business on the forum, and when the admin / mod group thinks it is time to add another mod, you will be noticed!"

With the above in mind, I may add someone else to the moderating list tonight!

Watch this space!

Guest he he :-)™
I voted don't care... I don't know why.:1eye:

I bet if there is a new moderator tonight it'll be prince of callcutta.

eh .. ? why should it be me .. ? :unsure:

Because u help people. And u r a respected member

Guest The Village Idiot

Ash

yes, havoc ensues constantly and idiots prevail through sheer numbers

You having a dig m8. lol :rolleyes:

Guest The Village Idiot

Ash sorry M8 but I could not help myself with that one :rolleyes:

I better get on me bike before the mods come after me. :(

Moderation is a difficult job at the best of times and I'm sure windowsforum mods take it seriously and do what they feel is best in a given situation. As I'm sure you all know, when we make a post we are in effect publishing - just as though our words where printed in a newspaper or magazine. We are subject to the laws which control publishing and can be prosecuted if we break those laws - as can the windowsforum as the publisher of our words. Therefore, for our own protection, the site must be moderated effectively.

Also, although we may not break the law, our words may offend others even though we may not intend any upset. It's the mod's job to tread a fine line between what's acceptable banter and opinion and what is offensive to some sections of the membership or the public in general.

I think they do a good job on this site. And the more members we get, the harder the job will become. Also, there's an element of democracy on this site and Craig and the mods listen to the opinions of members, as the appeals to reinstate "he he" showed.

Now that I've been serious for far too long, with your permission, I will revert to being silly again. :blink:

(By the way, I don't want to be a moderator)

Pete

Congrats from me aswell Nellie2.....your seem to be one of the more err..sensible members here! (but only just!! :D )

You deserve it nellie2!!! ;)

Damo

Guest spook
It is nice to see that Nellie has been selected for the role of moderator - good choice.  I am not trying to force any redundancies here but to me the ratio of moderators to casual or frequently posting members like myself (300+ since Jan 03), is something that is a cause for concern.  I do not really feel comfortable with not knowing even just a little about whom some of these people moderating actually are, or why it is seen to be that so many are really necessary.

My understanding of the role and purpose of the job of a Moderator is that it does not carry with it any perks at all, only duties and responsibilities.  Due to its nature, site moderation is surely a thankless task and one which needs careful consideration before taking on such a role. There are additional legal liabilities also for a person moderating a site even such as this – imagine if there was ever an incidence whereby someone felt they needed to take court action for a perceived grievances in the way they had been treated, wrong advice they may have received for example?  I do not know what cover is provided for in that unlikely eventuality, but I am sure it would have been thought through very carefuly – more moderators means more mistakes are likely to be made in this regard, not fewer!  The chances of such an unlikely scenario happening are fortunately very slim, but it’s still an internationally accessible board, and I would not want to be dealing with any irate Americans, even if they didn’t have a hope in hell of suing me and winning – it would still be a very costly incident.

To see the role of moderator as a goal for forum members to work towards for good behaviour or anything less than purely for providing for necessity, as and when they are needed, is very perilous, I should think.  And I’d hope that should be fairly obvious why there are dangers in promoting a select few through means other than necessity to what is an almost sacred mantle – you are holding a power over others (however small that may be) and should not even seek out such promotion as a reward or an end in itself, since it is something which only necessity calls for.  There is the ability to poll here too, so perhaps electing such moderators instead of nominating them would be a better means to providing the moderators, you feel are needed. 

Do understand that I am very aware I am in no position to preach to anyone here, and understand this makes for heavy reading on what is admittedly a light forum, or what is meant to be a light forum - it isn't from where I'm standing.  I'm not calling for mass redundancies either, but do feel more clarification of the issues raised are needed, to give the place a more equal footing.  Just to know a little more about the people moderating this place would be a good way of introducing the personalities behind this site, largely the moderators, I guess.   I’m not asking for photographs by the way, some of the pictures used as avatars that I’ve seen are frightening enough.  Thanks for reading.

It's in quotation not because I have a dual personality, and the other person wrote it, but because I like the way it formats and feel guilty for shoving my rant right in your faces. It makes a long posts look smaller, too. Again, it isn't a happy place for everyone so try and appreciate that if everything's groovy your end of things. This is a long standing concern of mine, so sorry if it's a bolt from the blue. Do not also think that this is criticism aimed at any one moderator in particular, it isn't and you have my promise on that. Just give the matter some thought - I did.

PS. I voted that I didn't really care just in case anyone's interested. I'll get me coat... and my reading glasses. Going to be a while before I touch the keyboard again so don't worry, you're finally safe from me. :unsure: