Shocking Comments

Guest Damo

Edited out......not a surprise really.........................

GANDALF

falling into the trap of having a small core (usually 10) of members, who are the only ones' posting and backslapping conviviality when any member makes a comment.

full of silly stories, baaad humour, racist views, and so-called serious subjects that evolve into gormless, inane, non-related comments by those who feel that they are well humorous. There is nothing wrong with a bit of light-heartedness but when it creeps into every thread and when there is little administration because everyone regards themselves as a ‘community’ the writing is writ large upon the wall. Most proboards or similar are like this and if you fall into the same trap, then your site will become one of the millions that are only visited by happenstance or by a tiny core of members, therefore adding little new ideas or views and rapidly becoming stale.

Forum Editor

Otherwise the forum will very rapidly join the thousands of others that are populated by people who have nothing to say, but say it in the most offensive way possible. There's absolutely no point in hosting a refuge for those who think it's fun to be abusive and to swap silly stories about nothing in particular. Gandalf's right - make sure your forum has a point, there are tens of thousands of Proboard forums out there, and most of them are going nowhere.

It looks like china ,gandalph ,and mango are occasional visitors then.......

Maybe consider being here beneath them....fine by me too ........ Meh ..........

the "staleness" of the site is precisely why I don't post as often at PCA (consumerwatch... mesh/ time/ PCworld are rubbish and my post has not arrived from jungle/amazon /ebay,aren't they *beep*,kazaa is illegal) ,but I will use it when I need it if I'm stuck ........................

Its not a competition....This is a different place..............

Maybe the bulk of the posts here are mainly by 10~20 people here.....and there is some dubious humour (I am guilty as charged M'lud)But there is a fair cross section of people both in age sex and views ,,,,I don't always agree ...but I enjoy coming back......Thats the whole point isn't it.............

Indifferent...then don't bother.........

I dunno ........but China has a point "there are tens of thousands of Proboard forums out there, and most of them are going nowhere"

I had the exact feeling myself last christmas , when their server went down.................

But then if you have a lofty ideal of what you imagine your forum actually is, in providing a service ,then fine Edit out to your hearts content and have let others who appear permanently on line ,get enjoyment over putting other contributers down............................................(and people accuse me of being a hypocrite ...what ..moi ?...he he )

To me when I first stated posting in PCA it was in the lounge,and the reason why I kept reposting there was the feeling of being in some sort of community.....................

I dunno , but Mungos comment did irritate me initially ( hence the "condescending twerp comment ")Then I read Gandalfs

"then your site will become one of the millions that are only visited by happenstance or by a tiny core of members, therefore adding little new ideas or views and rapidly becoming stale." And thought .....you are so right...........take a look in the mirror..................

Heres to our little community , and humour , and friendship................

'inane comments' from the man with a difficult to read name

:P

we do have our serious side obviously but we also have boards for those subjects.

After all we do like some entertainment and light relief as well as trying to help.

Guest ellas

what is pcadvisor a magazine,why did I first go there because I bought the magazine from tescos as it happens a few years ago,otherwise I would never had visited or even know about there helproom,to me like the magazine it stale with the same old stick in the muds who cling on the there old ways,if you have a pc problem the option of posting a attachment to highlight the problem is a real bonus,what harm does a smilie do nothing,anyway excellent o/s like xp and longhorn will lead to the demise of helprooms like pca,just look at the lack of people having problems with xp the only one I know is madboy :)

Guest Nellie2

Well I said to someone the other day that I have learned more here since Christmas than I have in the last 2 years of trawling PCA and other technical forums........so that can't be bad can it??

It was the friendliness of this place that attracted me in the first place.......and I was welcomed with open arms.....more or less. :rolleyes: It would be nice if more people posted.....and hopefully they will in time. I agree with Tankus......this is a different place and I love my friends here.............sob!!!

Im always pompus! :lol:

My reply to that thread in pca could be seen as two faced by those who dont know that

a) HeHe is a Mod on my forum (for my sins) :D

and b ) it was just a cheapshot bit of advertising for me!!! ;)

:lol: :lol:

It seems at times Chris that anything that deviates from the central topic will draw criticism and levity is frowned upon, not always, but one or two members seem to take offence at this.

It's the above that makes it stale at times

I also dont think we can really answer your question 'Whose pompus?' without really singling out individuals and I for one dont want to do that.

As far as 'In what way stale?' well, you dot really need me to answer that do you?

Surely i'm not the only one to see the same old questions and answers re-occuring every single day; its become stale because theres nothing new there to challenge! There's only so many times you can give the same old answers without getting bored.

When the gamesroom was put in there, it was new, exciting it gave people a change, gave them a new direction to go. Then what do they do to that? Take it away!

Now its the same old STALE place its been for the last six months!

Damo

to quote Gandalf ..............."site will become one of the millions that are only visited by happenstance or by a tiny core of members, therefore adding little new ideas or views and rapidly becoming stale..........

Whose forum did he have in mind..?

Guest spikeychris

Apologies, I wasn't trying to get names posted. For the record I agree that there are one or two nit-pickers and there is, the odd, up its own bum post but I still have a laugh :)

Chris

Its ok Chris, at one time or another we've ALL gotton help from there...after all its why we joined that place in the first place......its just that for some its grown old.

Guest ellas

like damo says same old questions and hey we would love more o/s problem solving but where not getting them,if we did'nt diverse we would be sitting looking at the monitor all night,lets face it xp is a doddle even for a newbie so theres going to be less and less posts I'm running 2 xp machines and had no problems when I was on me it was a different case though.

site will become one of the millions that are only visited by happenstance or by a tiny core of members, therefore adding little new ideas or views and rapidly becoming stale..........

So what??? If we like it, what's your problem??? :angry:

PCA having 80,000+ members does not mean that every day 80,000+ people go there and give 80,000+ answers to other peoples problems. If you go there regularily (as I did) there is a 'tiny core' of users there also that seem to help the most. The rest are the help seekers themselves. Plus, how many users have re-registered there with different usernames to escape hassle from the FE etc? I know I haven't, but I know alot who have...

There is no doubt that the PCA site is a good reference site for people with computer/ retailer related problems. But it is not much good for a chin-wag or to post a picture on...Each to their own as they say... :P

PS...80,000+ might be 100,000+ now :blink:

;)