IE-Spyad query

CurlyWhirly

Hi everyone,

I know that I installed IE-Spyad a few months ago as it was recommended by Nellie2.

I have since had to use a Drive Image 7 backup for another problem that is now resolved.

However, how can I be sure if IE/Spyad is installed or not?

I have downloaded the latest version now, but when I either try to uninstall the previous version (if it exists) or install the latest version, I get the following error message :( (See screenshot)

Any idea what this missing file is that the error message is referring to?

I want to install it on my PC as I am using Internet Explorer, and I want to be as safe as I possibly can!

:1zhelp:

post-2412-1111919583_thumb.jpg

Thanks for replying mark2

I get the error message as soon as I get to the IE-SPYAD install/uninstall utility, which I get by running the icon install.bat (circled in my screenshot)

I am then taken to a menu and when I press either option 1 or 2, that's when the error message comes up.

Regarding Internet Explorer, I can't find the 'restricted sites' list, so I was wondering if it makes any difference that I am using AOL's custom browser and not Internet Explorer (proper) :unsure:

Any help would be most welcome :)

post-2412-1111927909_thumb.jpg

Guest be@vis

Can't help with IE-SPYAD but, as regards the AOL browser - it's based on IE and, apparently, "respects" IE security settings. As long as the sites are listed in the registry - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings\Zone Maps\Domains and the REG_DWORD value is 4 you're OK.

Sorry it doesn't help with your original problem.

Have you tried a Fresh download of IEspyad ?, just in case your download has been corrupted.

Do you have IE on your start menu

post-5-1111935279_thumb.jpg

if so r/click then internet properties

post-5-1111935376_thumb.jpg

then to security tab >restricted sites

post-5-1111935566_thumb.jpg

finally sites button

post-5-1111935681_thumb.jpg

You should find a long list of sites there if spyad has installed.

Thanks again mark2,

Yes the download I was referring to was from a link from a webpage that I recently read, namely, Click here.

The downloads I am referring to are around a third of the way down the page.

I downloaded the IE-Spyad (original) file, so perhaps I should have downloaded IE-Spyad2 instead?

Finally, yes the long list of sites are there in the Restricted Zone.

In my case it starts with 00hg.com and ends with www.v61.com

So I have now established that I probably do have it installed, now all I need to know is why I can't download the new version :(

Can't help with IE-SPYAD but, as regards the AOL browser - it's based on IE and, apparently, "respects" IE security settings. As long as the sites are listed in the registry - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings\Zone Maps\Domains and the REG_DWORD value is 4 you're OK.

Sorry it doesn't help with your original problem.

Thanks for your help be@vis.

After using Regedit, I couldn't find the REG_DWORD value of 4 that you were referring to.

I wonder whether this could be part of my problem?

Guest be@vis

Click on the Domains plus sign to expand the folder, in there you will find the restricted sites - when clicked, they should display a REG_DWORD value of 0x00000004 (4).

be@vis & mark2

Thanks again.

Yes I have done what you both are advising me, and when I expand the Domains folder, I do see the REG_DWORD value set to 4.

Unfortunately, this is only on the top section, as when I get around half way down the list, the entries no longer show the REG_DWORD entries only the (default) REG_SZ entries.

Does this mean that IE-Spyad isn't installed after all?

This is getting a bit long winded to say the least :rolleyes:

Guest be@vis

You've got me there, I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that one. I've always worked on the basis that any value less than 4, in the restricted sites zone, is not good news.

CW if you go to your C/IESpyad folder r/click on ie-ads.reg> edit and scroll down to

*NOT FOR EVERYONE*

it's a long way down !

check that all references above this line retain "*"=dword:00000004 as the last line.

It could be the .reg file has been corrupted

Oh well, I will have to manage without it but thanks for your help anyway

don't give up yet

In regedit do there appear to be many set just as default ?

I've just done a quick check on my system and only appear to have 1 default, that being the tucows reference.

edit ... CW you posted as I was typing

you could make random comparisons between the list in ie-ads.reg and the relevant section in regedit if any are missing/incorrect then follow the next step below

To add this list of sites and domains to your Restricted sites zone, either

; double-click on this file (IE-ADS.REG)

(from the top of the page in ie-ads.reg)

My apologies if you've already been there but have you tried this site?

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

it gives the info you required for the AOL browser and it may provide a bit more info to help with your Spyad problem.

Thanks be@vis for that, no I didn't read that section as I must have gone past it. :blush:

I think the best thing for me to do now is go and read that particular section :rolleyes:

I may be back, depending on whether I make any progress!

After reading the article, it appears that I may need to uninstall IE-Spyad and download IE-Spyad2 instead.

What do you think?

Windows XP (all versions)

-------------------------

Some Windows XP users have reported that the IE-SPYAD block list does not show up in the

Internet Explorer Restricted sites list. If this happens to you, uninstall IE-SPYAD as you

normally would, and then download and install IE-SPYAD2, which a custom version of IE-SPYAD

that should resolve this problem. IE-SPYAD2 can be downloaded from the same web page as the

original IE-SPYAD.