Not even at the Newie level yet

doug

Thought I'd start and have a go. Where on earth do I start. I'm on plusnet and have 25 mb available. I thought I'd start by posting my jogging details, maps of tracks used, pics of items on the routes, trining log etc. The personnal details, wifes garden, pics of the changes through the season etc. Honestly I don't know where to start. Had a very quick look at the pinned tutorial but need to start before where those start. Basically I don't know what I dan'y know. Guidance please and be gentle with me. :rolleyes:

was front page included in that .. ? :unsure:

in anycase, if not , you can use word, type in what you want , like any document , insert pics but at the end you save it as a .html file instead of the usual .doc

best to save the file in a seperate folder and all the pics that you use should be saved there as well..

finally when you're done you upload the whole thing to the space given to you by metronet using an "ftp" program.. there are several links in this board i think to different ftp programs you can use.

hope that all made sense .. not too good at explaining things :( have a look at nellies site and mmmbistos tutorial too.. and i'll try to answer anything else till someone more experienced comes along! ;)

Guest whizwrinkly

Dont you get any tools with your host?

Never used plusnet, but most give you an HTML editor as part af the package.

I should think you will find one if you hunt about round your webspace. :blink:

If not, have a search on Google. There are loads of freebie ones out there.

Good luck with your project, Whiz...

Guest Damo

Prince is right doug,

If you use word, open a new document, design the layout and text as you want it to look, then save the document as 'index.htm'

That should get you going, if you have more than one page, let us know and we'll explain hyperlinks and then how to upload everything.

Damo

Hi Doug

I designed my site with MS Word 2000. If you haven't got FrontPage and decided to use Word - I can give you a few tips - I'm no expert, though.

First, I would plan the site by roughing out your ideas on paper. Things to consider are:

The purpose of the site

The intended audience

Structure and content

Content of the Home Page

Then you can start to design and build the site. Things to consider are:

A suitable theme

The Home Page

Second level pages

Navigation

I didn't have a clue to start with but with a plan and help from people on this site it all began to come together.

Good luck with it and sing out if you require assistance.

Pete

• 4 months later...

Resurecting this thread. Now I've something working I really need to use something with a bit more flexibility than the wizard provided by plus. I find it very irritating to be forced to use one of their page layouts. I take it that if I use word I can then upload it for furthe use. Hound how to import using the wizard on the website but have failed to export using AceFTP, for some reason I get acceess denied.

Any suggestions. If anyone looks at my web and would take the time to comment. Please type very slowly because I'm a slow reader. The number of times recently when I've been struggling with a problem only to find that the answer was staring me in the face. :blush:

Doug, word can be very simple to use for a basic text / graphic site, if you have office 97 there are also some basic web templates in there too. My little bit of the web was created using word 97 originally, but using word 2000 now.

When you save select the option to 'Save as' HTML/web page.

Your home page should be index.html, the others you can title as you see fit, but save them with the titles in lower case, some webspace providers sites don't recognise caps. links are easy to insert, just keep all of the files in the same folder on your HD.

For uploading I use Filezilla, a freebie FTP. Access denied suggests possibly your password is wrong or trying to upload to the wrong FTP addy. I've done it :blink:

BTW shouldn't you be in bed preparing for tomorrow now. :P :P