Causes of these current disasters

Tony

Tony, not quite right but on the right lines. Ice is of lower density than water (that's why icebergs float) so, when the icecaps melt the tendency will be for a lower wolume of total Earth's water (i.e. less apparent water) than there is now. If this happens, sea levels will be lower and there will be a greater land mass - exactly the opposite than what the doom merchants are predicting.

As far as i know, ice is the same weight as water, so if it melts, there will be no difference to the downward pressure. same as if the ice melts water levels will not rise.

Tony

I'm specifically talking about the ANTARCTIC ice. This is on land, and is creating billions of tons of downward pressure on the Antarctic continent. As that ice melts and runs into the sea, so that pressure is greatly reduced, thus causing the earths crust in that area to have tendency to try to rise. So as I see it, in future we could be in for more trouble in some of the poorest areas of the world. Anyway, lets not stop this discussion from persuading everyone to make a donation. It is my fault that we are now off topic.

And an appology has already been made about going off topic, it the post before your one.

And we know what the original post was about.

Tony

As you was the first to reply to the first off topic post, it was you that took the thread farther away from the original post.

And an appology has already been made about going off topic, it the post before your one.

Tony

As you was the first to reply to the first off topic post, it was you that took the thread farther away from the original post.

What is the problem? ALL threads are inclined to stray. The point is that the thread is STILL here, and I am using this posting to again urge EVERYONE to donate.

It must have been water in the first place that froze and turned into ice, so if it turns back to water it should be no problem.

Pops is right about the level dropping though, as when water freezes it expands, hence burst pipes and fittings forced off of pipework in the winter. Pre lagging days of course ;)

What I am trying to point out is that as the Antarctic ice melts due to global warming and runs away, billions of tons of downward pressure will be lost in that area, and alter the overall pressure on different tectonic plates. This could aggravate the earthquake situation on our earth and make things worse that they are at present.

Unfortunately as pops has pointed out the postings are a little muddled. when some postings were moved from a thread concerning donations to the appeals, because they had wandered off topic, I asked that they be transferred to another thread. unfortunately things are now a little muddled.

What I really want to drive home is that in my opinion, world leaders have compromised our earth in their greed for short term gains by using up the earths resources at such a rate that we are now getting in trouble with climate change.

Tony

My Humble Apologies

I just gave a quick reply to andsome's post, so yes i did encourage the thread going off topic.

And my post that has been quoted by edbanger is in fact missing from the thead. This was posted after Robbers Dod post.

And andsome you are quite right, i was not thinking of the Antarctic.

Tony