network problem

scottygio

my main computer is directly connected to the internet. I purchased a wireless router and set my wi-fi laptop up. laptop successfully surfs the net through the router. I then went through network setup wizard,first on the laptop and then the main computer. called the laptop and main computer a different name but gave them the same workgroup name. In the first instance my main computer would not complete the setup wizard,an error had occurred. so i repeated the wizard again and i noticed that i had 2 choices when it came to 'select your internet connection' wizard. the choices are

1) local area connection ethernet adapter (this is how my computer connects to the router and then the internet)

2)1394 connection 2 1394 net adapter (don't have a clue what this is)

so off course i select the first choice and then the wizard asks me to name the computer which i do and then i give it a workgroup name. I also turn on printer and file sharing.

Now here is the funny bit, the last part of the wizard summarises all your choices and guess what, it has choice number 2 selected (even though i selected number 1) for my internet connection!

When i finish the wizard i get an error.

So i reran the wizard but this time i thought i'd be smart, i selected choice 2 and at the end of the wizard choice 1 was selected. Wizard finished successfully and i'm away what a genuis eh? Actually no, the last wizard setup totally screwed my internet connection up that the only way out of it was a system restore.

sorry for being longwinded but i'm hoping someone out there might help me with this one,

thanks in advance

scott

i do have a firewire card fitted in my computer which i use for camcorder editing but nothing is connected to this card at the moment.

I now have a new development.

on my main computer i can now see the laptop when i VIEW WORKGROUP COMPUTERS.

however when i double click on the laptop i get the following message

\\laptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

And when i view workgroup computers on the laptop i get the following message

MYFAMILY(name of workgroup) is not accessible. You might not have perrmission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

So i'm a bit further forward but still a few issues needing resolved. The default workgroup is mshome but i changed it to MYFAMILY, i take it that is not an issue? It looks as if only a little tweaking is needed to get the computers sharing information.

hope somebody can point me in the right direction

thanks in advance

Scott

I hate those 'wizards'! I'll get you going soon. I have to find where the 'wizard' screwed it up. I think I have to walk you through changing the priority connection in your TCP/IP Advanced Settings. I'll give you a step-by-step as soon as I get it figured out.

If I remember right, I helped SpikeyChris with that not too long ago. [edit]Bus situation?

First, I don't think you needed to run the Wizard, as your computer already was set to use the Ethernet NIC and obtain a DHCP Address from your Cable Modem. The only thing you would have had to do is reboot your PC to obtain an IP Address from your new Wireless Router instead of the Cable Modem. When you ran the Wizard, Windows may have become 'confused' and thought you were changing your method of getting to the Internet. I hope that makes sense for you.

To correct the Wizard's error, go to Start, Control Panel, Network and Internet Connections, then click on Network Connections. The Network Connections window will open:

post-1455-1136135905_thumb.jpg

Highlight your Local Area Connection by clicking on it, then click Advanced on the menu at the top of the window and select Advanced Settings by clicking on it.

post-1455-1136136047_thumb.jpg

Make sure your Local Area Connection is listed in the top of the Connections. If it isn't, select it, and hit the Up Arrow to the right to move it up until it appears on top.

Please let us know if that works.

thanks for the help. I did as you asked, my local area connection was indeed second so i moved it up a notch.

However i'm still getting the same error message when i VIEW WORKGROUP COMPUTERS

MYFAMILY is not accessible. you might not have permission to use the network resource. Contact the adminsitrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

I restarted my computer and checked the advanced settings again and the local area connection is indeed at the top notch so all is well in that respect.

I actually bought a network book to help but obviously something is wrong with getting permission. I hope you might have some other thing i could try,

regards

scott

thanks again

i think the problem might be the laptop side.

on the laptop i created a new network and renamed the laptop laptop1. when i go to network places on the main computer i can VIEW WORKGROUP COMPUTERS, all the icons are there i.e. main computer, laptop and now laptop1.

but the laptop, when i VIEW WORKGROUP COMPUTERS i get an error message - myfamily is not accessible. blah blah blah network path was not found.

How can i delete workgroups? I think i might be better deleting all networks and try creating a new network again.

hope you can help

thanks

scott

yes i have shared folders on both pc

how do you enable network sharing on te pcs

no i did not disable any firewalls

how do you enable network sharing on te pcs

R/click the shared folder>sharing and security>sharing >tick "share this folder on the network" and "allow network users to change my files" second option is if you want to work on files on the laptop from your desktop

post-5-1136232124_thumb.jpg

no i did not disable any firewalls

Which firewall are you using ?

and so the saga continues.

I now have 2 computers (laptop and main).

1 workgroup called family.

When i view workgroup computers on the laptop i can see both computers under the same workgroup (family).

when i view workgroup computers on the main computer i get an error message i.e. Family is not accessible blah blah blah.

I tried running the wizard again and the wizard does not finish successfully, namely the following error occurs

AN ERROR OCCURRED DURING CONFIGURATION OF THE NETWORK ON THE COMPUTER. YOU CAN CONFIGURE IT MANUALLY.

As i mentioned earlier when i run the wizard i have 2 choices for the SELECT YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION,

1)LOCAL AREA CONNECTION VIA ETHERNET ADAPTER

2)1394 CONNECTION 2 1394 NET ADAPTER 2.

Now during the set up it mentions that if you use a cable modem to connect to the internet some isp's give your computer a unique name. I phoned ntl and ntl said that this was not the case.

the next part of the wizard gives you a summary of all the parameters and guess what, for my connection to my network the 1394 is highlighted!!! even thought i selected the local area connection via ethernet adapter.

The final part of the wizard sets up automatically your network i get an error occurred during configuration of the network on the computer.

pretty longwinded, but it looks as if i might have to get the boffins in. I'll leave this post open for a few days and hope someone might have come across this type of problem before,

thanks to all who helped

scott

Sorry we're not getting this resolved for you more quickly Scotty,

Please avoid the Wizard's. Have you taken a look at my Networking Essentials posts in this forum? They may help you find the missing piece.

Also, on the PC that wants you to use the 1394 Connection, could you do an ipconfig and post the results?

Please follow Scuzzman's instructions in this post to provide your ipconfiguration.

i tried scuzzmans ipconfig stuff but my notepad just stayed blank. There was nothing to paste into it. tries it 3 times, the first 2 times nu copying scuzzmans exact commands, the last time typing it in personally.

I ran ipconfig command from the command prompt and got the following

ethernet local area connection

connection specific dns suffix - belkin

ip address ;192.168.2.3

subnet mask ; 255.255.255.8

default gateway; 192.168.2.1

don't know if this is of any help

thanks

scott

Scotty,

Are you sure your subnet mask is 255.255.255.8 and not 255.255.255.0? 255.255.255.8 would be a very strange subnet mask for a home user.

Is the IP Address on the other computer also in the 192.168.2.x network range?

Can you ping your gateway of 192.168.2.1? To ping, go to Start, Run, and type cmd in the Open dialogue then hit Enter. In the command window that opens, type ping 192.168.2.1. Do you get replies, or "request timed out"? If you can ping your gateway, what happens when you type ping www.nortel.com?

sorry homecomputeraid for taking so long in getting back,was very busy at the weekend. When i ping i get a reply ok i.e. packets sent and received ok. and your right about the subnet mask being zero, it isn't 8.

Can you tell me how to get the ipconfiguration in another way so i can then send it to you,

thanks again

scott

You can open a command prompt (Start, Run, cmd then hit Enter), then type ipconfig /all. Right click on the title bar of the command window and go the Edit, and click on Select All. Then hit Enter. This copies the entire contents of the window into the clipboard. Then right click in your response to this post and click on Paste. It should look something like the following:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xyz-xp

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : xyz.COM

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : xyz.COM

pcc.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : xyz.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapt

er(LNE100TX v4)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-5A-45-42-BB

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.31.100

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.31.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.31.2

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.31.2

Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.31.2

Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 192.168.31.3

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 05, 2006 11:48:40

PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 13, 2006 11:48:40 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\scott rennie>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : SCOTTSCOMPUTER

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-76-14-DF-AE

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.3

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 10 January 2006 19:48:44

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 19 January 2038 03:14:07

hope this helps homecomputeraid

regards

scott

Ok. Those DNS Servers sounded strange for an ISP to be using.

What are boffins and what happens when they get in?

I re-read the entire post, but I'm unclear on what exactly isn't working right now. Sorry, Scotty, but could you please re-iterate for me. Can you get to the Internet from all PC's concerned? Is it just communication between them that isn't working? If so, what OS'es can or can't communicate properly.

the problem i have is that i cannot get my computers to share each others files.

I have 2 computers, a desktop and a laptop. I have assigned them both names i.e. scott's computer and sylvias laptop. The workgroup i have called RENNIE.

On the desktop i go through MY NETWORK PLACES then i view WORKGROUP COMPUTERS. I can see the icons for both computers. However when i double click on the SYLVIASLAPTOP it comes up with SYLVIASLAPTOP IS NOT ACCESSIBLE.YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO USE THIS NETWORK RESOURCE.THE NETRWORK PATH WAS NOT FOUND.

On the laptop when i go through MY NETWORK PLACES then i view WORKGROUP COMPUTERS. I can see only the icon for the laptop, the icon for the desktop computer is not there.

hope this is of help,

thanks

scott

Scott,

Thanks for bringing me up to speed on your present situaiton. Do you have a common user name and password between the two PC's? For example, a user named Scott with a password of abc123xyz on both computers? Be sure to try it with that same user with the same password on both PC's.

Are both of your computers Windows XP Home Edition?

Are they both patched and updated to the same level?

Can you connect using a different method like going to Start, Run, and typing \\sylviaslaptop on scottscomputer then hitting Enter? If not, can you replace \\computername with \\IP Address, for example \\192.168.2.3 and see if that works?

Thanks for your patience in troubleshooting this Scott!

Sorry home computeraid about the delay but the site was down.

Only the laptop requires a password(we have 2 users both with admin rights).

The laptop has windows professional while the desktop has windows home.

both computers are xp security patch 2.

I tried the RUN command and it came up with NETWORK PATH NOT FOUND on both computers.

i haven't tried changing the computer name to the ip address yet as i'm worried it might make things worse,

thanks again for your help,

scott

i haven't tried changing the computer name to the ip address yet as i'm worried it might make things worse

Sorry if I was unclear on this, but I wanted you to try getting to the other computer by going Start, Run, and typing \\192.168.1.6 (replace the IP with a real IP) and hitting Enter. That's what I meant by changing the computer name to an IP, not doing so through Windows. Please let me know if this is still unclear.

I understand you now fully. My desktop computer has an ip address of 192.168.2.3

My laptop has an ip address of 192.168.2.4

On the desktop i typed \\192.168.24 at the run command and the result was NETWORK PATH NOT FOUND.

On the laptop i typed \\192.168.2.3 at the run command and the result was NETWORK PATH NOT FOUND.

thanks again

scott