Isn't this bribery

catgate

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/labour/stor...1692414,00.html

More about the Labour party | Special report: public services

GPs paid to send sick back to work

Doctors to work with employment advisers to help the long-term ill move off state benefits

Gaby Hinsliff, political editor

Sunday January 22, 2006

The Observer

Family doctors will be financially rewarded for encouraging sick patients back to work under highly controversial plans to reform the welfare state.

GPs will be expected to work with employment advisers in their surgeries to help people requesting a sick note for conditions ranging from stress to chronic injuries to find other jobs, rather than go onto long-term incapacity benefit.

No matter how much it saves the "Welfare State" I can see no other description for it.

Undoubtedly there are people who need support because of infirmity etc. and, sensibly, the people to define who are incapable of supporting themselves are the medical practitioners. Those who do not need support should not be identified by the doctor as needing it.

My point is that they should not need bribing to do this. It is part of their "job description". If anything those doctors who fail to do their job properly should be disciplined. Maybe "struck off".

No long ago New Labour had the bright idea of "paying" pupils to attend school, before that they had the idea of "paying" pupils to stay at school longer. It is all bribery. Presumably this is how they view normality.

I applaud all efforts to segregate the people who really need help from the idle scroungers who should be back at work

I agree with this. There are those who are in no fit state to work, and there are others who are just swinging the lead. One of my wife's brothers spent almost all his life on the dole. It got that they no longer sent him job interview appointments. Together with another brother who packed up work at about forty years old, they bought their council house out of unemployment pay. I could write a book about him.