Puppy linux

Has anyone seen/tried Puppy Linux? How is it different to Knoppix/Ubuntu/etc/etc/? More to the point is it worth looking at?

Whilst on the topic which is the best/most user friendly GUI in the Linux field? What I've seen and tried so far are not quite up to the Windows standard. (did I really type that?...must go and wash my hands now.)

Has anyone seen/tried Puppy Linux? How is it different to Knoppix/Ubuntu/etc/etc/? More to the point is it worth looking at?

Whilst on the topic which is the best/most user friendly GUI in the Linux field? What I've seen and tried so far are not quite up to the Windows standard. (did I really type that?...must go and wash my hands now.)

:rolleyes: I've seen it, and it looks preaty darn cool to me.! ;) It kinda looks and functions a little like good old win98se only of much better because it's linux. ;)

More to the point is it worth looking at?

Yes, Go check it out, at:> Puppy linux

Whilst on the topic which is the best/most user friendly GUI in the Linux field?

Well i guess thats all up to you ( the user ), I don't think there really is one better that another to a certain point though.

Although Ubuntu is preaty darn good too. :rolleyes:

:lol:

The "best" GUI as jason says, really does depend on your preference. Most popular are KDE and Gnome. I find KDE a bit easier to navigate, but some swear by Gnome. There are others as well, like blackbox, enlightenment, etc. They are called Window Managers if you want to search for different ones.

The best way to see if you like a version of Linux is to try the Live CD.

I have tried Suse, Mandrake, Ubuntu, Knoppix, Fedora Core, Red Hat over the last couple of years or so, and although they all worked they all seemed to be a bit 'clunky' compared to W98SE. Granted they were on a machine (1.2Gig) that was not up to today's speeds, but a machine that nevertheless dealt with W98SE smoothly. What I am looking for is something that is as smooth as W98SE (without the troubles).

My first Linux experience was Caldera, back in the day.. Too bad it's not around anymore because It reminded me much of Windows 98.

You will want something small an unobtrusive. Most Distrobutions provide a minimal version of thier current release. If you can find it, that is probably the best way to go. Perhaps a stripped down version of Debian, or as you are suggesting, Puppy Linux. You can also try something like DSL (Damn Small Linux) but it is far too stripped down for what you are asking for.

You will want something small an unobtrusive.
That's exactly what I've got, but I try not to complain.

However, back to Linux. I think I shall have a look at Puppy on the strength of your advice and see how I like that. The thing I have found a bit disconcerting up to now has been the need, fairly frequently, to use linux language commands that are so far from DOS that, as one who came to computers through DOS, I find quite foreign.

• 2 weeks later...
I have tried Suse, Mandrake, Ubuntu, Knoppix, Fedora Core, Red Hat over the last couple of years or so, and although they all worked they all seemed to be a bit 'clunky' compared to W98SE. Granted they were on a machine (1.2Gig) that was not up to today's speeds, but a machine that nevertheless dealt with W98SE smoothly. What I am looking for is something that is as smooth as W98SE (without the troubles).

Try Kubuntu. It's Ubuntu, but with a KDE interface and a nice blue-ish color scheme that is very easy on the eyes. Package installation is exceptionally easy with Adept 'apt' frontend. Installation is rather ugly (text-based) but couldn't be simpler. It has excellent hard-ware detection and runs great on my roommate's 800MHz.

Try Kubuntu. It's Ubuntu, but with a KDE interface and a nice blue-ish color scheme that is very easy on the eyes. Package installation is exceptionally easy with Adept 'apt' frontend. Installation is rather ugly (text-based) but couldn't be simpler. It has excellent hard-ware detection and runs great on my roommate's 800MHz.

I have just been trying Breezy Badger, and Mepis. I am expecting a copy of Linspire in a couple of days. They all seem to offer quite a lot but they also each seem to be "lacking" something. Probably it's just me being picky.

• 2 months later...