memories

When I had problems with a blue screen - someone advised me to download Maxmem as a way of keeping track of how much memory I had as it happened when scanning and reading emails.

I was amazed at this little program - I have supposedly 256ram but acording to other programs only 234 in actual.

I use a lot on starting up and realize it was 2 scans on start up plus email download and anti virus download at virtually same time caused it now.

I have had a look at what happens at start up and with a few exceptions, most seem to be necessary.

I would like to ask if screen savers actually all run all the time in the background as I do have a lot of these, and do not have a clue how to delete the ones i never use. Only actually use Webshots these days, dogs being a dog lover. Rest I got when I first got the computer and went nuts downloading more and more just because I could. :rolleyes:

So anyone with little memory get this program its great.

When I had problems with a blue screen - someone advised me to download Maxmem as a way of keeping track of how much memory I had as it happened when scanning and reading emails.

I was amazed at this little program - I have supposedly 256ram but acording to other programs only 234 in actual.

Yea, That was me. :lol: ;)

Now you say you have 256 mb's of ram but other programs are telling you that you've only got 234 mb's.

You might just have a case of Failing Ram, If you liked Maxmem you could try to download "MemTest 86+ and give it a whirl.

I just hope you've got a floppy drive, Make note though, that if you don't have "Rawrite" and you copy memtest on a floppy, it won't work, you have to use rawrite or something equivelent.. ;)

I would like to ask if screen savers actually all run all the time in the background as I do have a lot of these, and do not have a clue how to delete the ones i never use.

No, They don't run all the time in the background. Although, Did you know that it's not uncommon for a screensaver to use 100% processor when it's running..??

As far as deleting them, I would advise against that, It might just cause you more problems than anything else. Just don't use'em anymore.. ;)

Well i hope that helps ya a bit more.. Have fun.. :D

You might just have a case of Failing Ram, If you liked Maxmem you could try to download "MemTest 86+ and give it a whirl.

I just hope you've got a floppy drive, Make note though, that if you don't have "Rawrite" and you copy memtest on a floppy, it won't work, you have to use rawrite or something equivalent.. ;)

OOp lost me here - I do have a floppy disc port but to date have never used it.

I do have some discs which someone said to buy and back up on but I actually do not know if they work or not. Have tried but maybe one there and maybe not. Bit ignorant :paperbag1:

see :paperbag1: I dont know if my disc at top of tower is a burner or not see.

I dont know if my disc at top of tower is a burner or not see.

What.? Your floppy drive.? or do you mean a "CD Dive".??

Place a fresh formatted 3.5 in' floppy disk in the floppy drive, now assuming that you've downloaded memtest86+ already unzip it and extract it to a folder of your chosing ( maybe in "My Documents" )..

Now if you've downloaded Rawrite you just simply point it to the extracted memtest .bin ( i think it's a .bin ) and use rawrite to Burn that image to the floppy.

Then just leave the disk in the floppy drive and restart your computer, the computer ( hopefully, if all was done right ) will now boot from floppy drive instead of the hard drive.

Memtest will begin automatically and perform tests of your systems physical memory, Just leave it running ( all night if need be ), all you gotta do is turn off your monitor..

I'm not sure at how many cycles it will go through, but, when it's done you should be able to tell if you've got any problems.. I.O.W. Bad Ram.. ;)

Thanks Jason - I wil buy some floppies next trip to the big smoke or in my case the nearest town :mellow:

With the price of petrol and the mileage - huge - only go once a month. Petrol unleaded at $1.52 a litre currently.

English p here is worth 42p to 1 dollar au.

I think your petrol is cheaper than ours. Hope so anyway B) :friends:

This little freeware tool doesn't require you to spend your precious dollars on buying floppy disks :D

It doesn't install - just put it in a new folder and run it from there.

RAM Tester Utility

The RAMTester tool checks reliability of memory modules under MS Windows (x86 and x64), working with virtual addresses. It writes various bit patterns into memory cells and then reads them and compares with reference.

http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/ramtester.shtml

Download it from :-

http://cpu.rightmark.org/download/rt20050915.exe

Thanks Jason - I wil buy some floppies next trip to the big smoke or in my case the nearest town :mellow:

With the price of petrol and the mileage - huge - only go once a month. Petrol unleaded at $1.52 a litre currently.

English p here is worth 42p to 1 dollar au.

I think your petrol is cheaper than ours. Hope so anyway B) :friends:

Hey your welcome buddy, Anytime. ;) :D

Nah, I think gasoline here in the U.S. is more expencive than yours, Whats the A.U.D. to U.S.D. conversion.??

This little freeware tool doesn't require you to spend your precious dollars on buying floppy disks biggrin.gif

It doesn't install - just put it in a new folder and run it from there.

Floppy disks aren't that costly, If i were to go out and buy some right now i would probably spend something around five U.S. dollars.( for twenty disks )..!, And besides that downloading that ram tester utility thing and running it from inside windows would be inaccurate, Because you've got the ram tester running in the background and an entire operating system running in the foreground.. ;) The results of the test wouldn't be right..

Nah, I think gasoline here in the U.S. is more expencive than yours, Whats the A.U.D. to U.S.D. conversion.??

I think gasoline prices in the US are the lowest in the world...

Currency conversions: http://www.xe.com/ - but don't forget that the rest of the world measures gasoline in liters.

Thanks for that guys. Floppies here are around $9 a box.

Re gas prices or petrol Today 1AU$ = 76UScents.

All depends on what you earn really.

Our average earnings currently are $1102.47 per week

But not a lot earn that as most are on around $30K a year average. They put in the middle men's pay - if they put in the top mens pay - well average would be stupid beyond words as too many get obscene amounts of money in packages where they ostly avoid paying income tax too. Millions are their take home pay.

Greed and profit rule.

The workers pay for the lot as they get their wages after the income tax is taken out along with Health Care Levy. Big end of town declares their income end of year and of course have the big bucks to pay good accountants to hide it anywhere the taxman is not currently looking :devil: