Graphics tablet

Guest moon

Well, I'm pleasantly surprised that it works with other graphics apps. I didn't like 'Dabbler' so I plugged it into 'Paint' Works great there, apart from failing to draw complete lines sometimes, but I think that might be a memory issue. I've only got 96MB on that machine.

I had Art Dabbler ages ago with another tablet which doesn't work with XP. Wasn't impressed - How did you 'plug it into paint' ?

I had a quick go at putting a picture on it and tracing the outline. Surprisingly good result. :)

The way that it's set up, with the keyboard linked through the tablet connector, just means that the tablet and pen are available to use no matter what graphics app. you're running. I've always used a mouse with 'Paint' but now the pen is available too. The tablet is just another piece of PnP hardware, no other software required.

Do you have trouble with the 'broken' freehand line thing ?

• 1 month later...

I am SO impressed!

Do you just do comp art?

I still haven't had a chance to explore the new tablet. Art exhib started yesterday - have put in 4 framed, 4 unframed and 4 'small' pics. So between doing all those and entertaining the inevitable summer visitors - not a lot of free time. Plus hubby whinges if I spend a lot of time on the comp. :(

I am SO impressed!

Do you just do comp art?

Well, I impressed myself , it was so easy. I took a 15" monitor and a little 386 with 90-odd MB RAM. It wouldn't run Fireworks fast enough so I used Paint. Paint is cool if you're not too bothered about lots of accessible colours.

I've just started comp. art. I've done a litle drawing with the mouse but just begun with the tablet. I'm a large-scale painter really, site-specific stuff preferably. Haven't you looked at the gallery site ?

P.S. here's another one I did last night from the model.

post-26-1059061387.jpg

Ace,

Yes, the technique I'm trying is to create a rough form from freehand lines in black and then 'mould' it with the eraser tool or the pen tools set to a lighter colour or 'white'. The advantage over traditional drawing is that the lighter colours will 'take' no matter what's underneath. I look forward to seeing your results.

Give me some (long) time.......moon ....but I will post here........just for a laugh ,as its twenty years since Ive done any thing "artistic"......

Im more of an appreciator than an activist.... but it looks fun...!

.......I really like the second one...........it works ...is the hardest part knowing when to stop......?.....

You don't have any option but to stop at this group. First the model goes through a series of five three minute poses. Then the model moves slowly up and down the catwalk for ten minutes. Then there's a pose held for twenty minutes ( drawing 2 that you like) followed by a pose held for forty minutes ( Drawing 1)

Of course, I have the advantage over traditional media workers in that I can make copies of my drawings and experiment with them if I so choose. To date I've resisted the temptation and I just store my files like they were paper in a portfolio. I haven't got time to experiment anyway. The life group itself is an indulgence that I barely have time for. So, looking forward to someone else doing the work so that I can enjoy that. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Got a wacom graphics tablet today (£35) , spent around half an hour trying to get my head around corel.......My room is at 34C so its hard to maintain an interest ,Plus a pub lunch (my local has AC) after work this morning , has given me low concentration levels......

I can see why you went monochrome in paint....moon........

Ill post an effort in a few weeks after a bit more practise , when I can do a bit better than a Jill and John abstaction........!

Good on yer, tankus. I look forward to seeing something. :)

I don't have any probs with colour in 'Paint', it's just that 'Paint' is the only prog. I can run with 92MB RAM on this little machine I take to the group. I've just boosted it to 256MB from Crucial so I'll try Fireworks later. Looking forward to that too. Paint colour image below. Simplistic but educational.

post-26-1060530151.jpg