Microsoft California Settlement Mistake

sdctcher

I am wondering if anyone else is having a problem with MS. In 2003 I followed directions and took part in a $1.1 Billion class action lawsuit against MS by filing the official claim form. The case then became limited to CA and a few days ago I received a voucher from the claims administrator to get my part of the settlement. A number of these vouchers are being sold on eBay.

Originally, you could claim you purchased a small number of MS products between 1995 and 2001 and I did many times over. But if you claimed more than 5 or more than $100 you would have to give them receipts from years ago. So I only claimed 5 for $95.

OK, now 3 years later I get this voucher for $111 saying I need to send receipts to get my money. I remember the 5/$100 thingee (since I saved copies of correspondance) and go to the final settlement page and I still add up to $95 instead of $111.

So, I call Steve at the Claims 800 number in Minneapolis and he has to talk to his supervisor. He says just accept the $111 with the extra $16 as a gift. I say but then I would have to find 11 year old receipts. He then read me various parts of the settlement having nothing to do with what I am saying. I start to read the sentence on the settlement talking about the $100 limit (which is not reprinted on the voucher) and he suddenly says he has a fire alarm and must walk 20 floors to evacuate the building and if no one calls me back try again later and start over.

I will follow up but my reason for posting is that I am guessing I am not the only one who will be getting a wrongfully added up amount that shows up over $100 and the person will give up because they cannot find old old receipts, or they did not photocopy the 3 year old claims form, or they do not remember that they need no receipts for under $100. Then what happens is they never hear from MS again, MS saves $100, and they pay full price when they buy Vista next year.

Somehow this does not seem right and I am paranoid enough that I wonder how persuasive these 'mistakes' might be.

Thanks for listening and spread the word.