Internet Explorer goes off after a couple of seconds

I have had this problem before but can't remember what the cure was other than to download XP Toolbar Fix. It worked then but not now, and I think first time round it was also something to do with a BHO. If it is one of them, how do I tell which one is causing the trouble, or do I just delete the whole lot?

When I click on I.E. it comes up on screen then, after a couple of seconds, goes off again.

I've ran both AdAware and SpyBot, they never found anything wrong.

Though I don't use I.E. much I would like to get it working again so any ideas/suggestions gratefully received as always.

Many thanks trackrat, I'll give it a try, both methods if necessary.

As I said though, I'm fairly certain it's something to do with a BHO, I just can't remember what the answer was. Hopefully somebody who doesn't stop up all night on their computers will see the post and tell me.

Found it. As I suspected it was caused by a BHO. I took a guess that it was the last one to be installed, all the others had been there some time, disabled it with Toolbar Cop and all is now well.

That, of course, prompts the question 'why'?

Why does one BHO have that effect on I.E.?

Can anyone explain about BHO's in general please?