Smack your child

Guest LB

There has been alot of debate in the press recently regarding the smacking of children by their parents.

So as a general canvassing of opinion, what does everyone think?

Guest Nellie2

It depends what you mean by smack!!!! A short sharp shock to get a point across quickly..... ie, if the child goes too near a fire after being told not to...... yes.

Corporal punishment..... you can call it beating if you like....... no, it does no good and there are better methods of discipline.

No harm in a smack as long as a warning has been given, and disobeyed. Flogging and beating or hitting with implements is a different kettle of fish, and should be a last resort of the law courts. I would welcome corporal punishment for thugs.

Guest Nellie2
The dap should be brought back to school...It does work......

The DAP!!!................ Crikey, it is years since I heard anyone mention a dap... the boys in my school used to get the dap and the girls used to get the ruler on the open palm......... ouch!!!! Worked though!

Nellie, I don't wish to upset you, but I would like to quote from two of your posts

Corporal punishment..... you can call it beating if you like....... no, it does no good and there are better methods of discipline.

The DAP!!!................ Crikey, it is years since I heard anyone mention a dap... the boys in my school used to get the dap and the girls used to get the ruler on the open palm......... ouch!!!! Worked though!

Which version do you actually agree with? Either it worked or it didn't!

I have to agree with the second quote. I went to a school which administered punishment, ranging from the ruler, through the slipper and cane, up to a 3 foot split leather strap!!! Now that did hurt :( :blink: However, we all knew what to expect if we broke the rules, and generally once was enough (I think the worst part about it was trying to keep the information from your parents!). I feel that we came away from that school as far better people, with a better respect for rules and authority.

Maybe it's just me, but I seem to have noticed a drastic decline in social and moral standards since schools were forbidden to administer corporal punishment. Perhaps it's time for the dogooders and social workers to realise that it's far better to quickly punish an individual, than to cry foul and have numerous decent people harmed by that person later in life!!

At the end of the day it's very simple, if you can't take the punishment then don't do the crime (or at least make sure you don't get caught).

Regards. Mr. Mouse.

Guest Nellie2

Mr Mouse you caught me out there........ perhaps I used the wrong word. In my first post when I said corporal punishment what I meant was physical abuse I suppose.....ie, really belting a child.....the sort of thing that parents do when they lose their temper.

I should not have used the words corporal punishment as that is a controlled and measured method of punishment.

I only ever got the ruler once........ it was enough to make me toe the line and did not cause any lasting damage

Personally don't see any harm in a sharp smack on the backside!

Didn't do me any harm and I was a right little terror!

I suppose there is an extremely fine line though and what one person deems as suitable punishment might be considered over the top by someone else!

Like I say, I'm ok with parents and only parents discipling their kids with a smack on the ass when warrented, but I think where a lot of this has stemed from is Babysitters and alike, trying to do the parents job of discipling.

School discipline is also another touchy area! I'm glad it was finally banned!

There was many a time I had a white plymsol across the backside!

Guest Nellie2

Now that is a good idea.......... but then you will get those that will say.....where do you draw the line between punishment and abuse???......and even if you can do that then the abusers will no doubt be able to take the line that their human rights are being violated because they are getting a taste of their own medicine!! :(

Guest Nellie2
School discipline is also another touchy area! I'm glad it was finally banned!

Yeah but don't you think it is a sad state of affairs that a teacher can be charged with assaulting a child for simply trying to restrain them......... yet a child can hit, punch, kick, stab etc etc a teacher without fear of recrimination because they are too young for the court system

Yes Nel, that is something that needs sorting out. When I said School discipline is a touchy area I meant the physical punishment, such as the cane/ruler/slipper etc.

I had the Dap twice at school , One for bunking of maths to watch a Rugby match ,and another getting into a bit of a ruckus after somebody deliberately stuck their finger up my nose in a scrum , In retrospect I may have punched the wrong person back , but........ ah well......

Ive been a teacher too so Ive seen it from the other side so to speak, frankly If a teacher these days has a bunch of intellectually challenged young persons in the back of the class who only want to disrupt , there is very little left in the armoury to deal with it ........

You have to have discipline to make it work well......