If only they had oil

andsome

If only Sudan had oil, something more would have been done to stop all this killing of innocent people. The United Nations is a completely sterile, toothless wonder. All it seems capable of doing is talk talk talk, and then follow this up with yet more talk. Meantime innocent people continue to die at an alarming rate.

HERE.

If only Sudan had oil, something more would have been done to stop all this killing of innocent people. The United Nations is a completely sterile, toothless wonder. All it seems capable of doing is talk talk talk, and then follow this up with yet more talk. Meantime innocent people continue to die at an alarming rate.

HERE.

Yes. It is appalling. But are the USA and ourselves to be the world police again?Sudan won't willingly accept UN forces.

Thos.

HERE.

Yes. It is appalling. But are the USA and ourselves to be the world police again?Sudan won't willingly accept UN forces.

Thos.

If there was oil there, the US and GB would have either invaded by now, or done a lot more. Surely the vast majority of decent people do not want to see this persecution and killing continuing any longer, while the UN passes resolution after resolution, all to no avail. It was the same in the former Yugoslavia, talk talk talk, and finally when something was eventually done, hundreds of thousands had died.

If there was oil there, the US and GB would have either invaded by now, or done a lot more. Surely the vast majority of decent people do not want to see this persecution and killing continuing any longer, while the UN passes resolution after resolution, all to no avail. It was the same in the former Yugoslavia, talk talk talk, and finally when something was eventually done, hundreds of thousands had died.

I am not an expert on oil in Sudan, but I had always thought that there was a substantial quantity of oil in Southern Sudan and Human Rights Groups declare this is a reason for the abuses the people are suffering.

The large-scale exploitation of oil by foreign companies operating in the theatre of war in southern Sudan has increased human rights abuses there and has exacerbated the long-running conflict in Sudan, a conflict marked already by gross human rights abuses—two million dead, four million displaced since 1983—and recurring famine and epidemics.

There is more at HERE

Thos.

Sorry. The link should be http://www.hrw.org/reports/2003/sudan1103/. I was doing the earlier one from memory.

I am not an expert on oil in Sudan, but I had always thought that there was a substantial quantity of oil in Southern Sudan and Human Rights Groups declare this is a reason for the abuses the people are suffering.

The large-scale exploitation of oil by foreign companies operating in the theatre of war in southern Sudan has increased human rights abuses there and has exacerbated the long-running conflict in Sudan, a conflict marked already by gross human rights abuses—two million dead, four million displaced since 1983—and recurring famine and epidemics.

There is more at HERE

Thos.

Sorry. The link should be http://www.hrw.org/reports/2003/sudan1103/. I was doing the earlier one from memory.

Sorry, I did not know that there was oil in Sudan. I note however from your map that it is not in Darfur, or at least not exploited there yet.

In answer to Catgate. The people being killed are mainly black Christians, and the killers are Arabs. Another case of religion rearing it's extremely ugly head.