Recuva

Recuva (pronounced "recover") is a freeware utility to restore files that have been accidentally deleted from your computer. This includes files emptied from the Windows Recycle bin as well as images and other files that have been deleted by user error from digital camera memory cards or MP3 players.

Currently in a beta testing phase, you can download the software from:

http://www.recuva.com

We hope you enjoy it!

The Recuva Team @ Piriform

P.S. Piriform is the company that brought us CCleaner.

• 2 weeks later...

What a superb, easy to use program.

I thought I'd test it out so, I have a drive which I use for storage of large numbers of (mainly) pictures. I moved all the valuable/useful stuff from it a few weeks ago to safekeeping elsewhere and dumped all the contents of the drive via the recycle bin.

The drive showed that it was empty.

I applied Recuva to the drive and, without going into the details of it doing the process, within 30 minutes it had recovered 21,754 files of about 100KB - 200KB each. Yes there were some failures but it does tell you about them. It doesn't tell you how many but, I estimate there were about 50 files which had been overwritten - which is not bad considering there were nearly 22,000 of them.

The only problem is, and it's not a fault of Recuva, is that the deleted files have been given a new reference (DKxxxxx) which can be awkward if you're searching for one amongst many.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Good as Recuva may be, don't let it be an excuse for not making backups of anything and everything of importance to you.

I suppose that you could say that I am MULTIPLE belt and braces. My photo's are all on my D drive with nothing else, and also downloaded to DVD twice, so that if one plays up I have the other. My D drive is also copied to my C drive, so that all my photos are in four places. Better safe than sorry. :D