Group Formed to Support Linux as Rival to Windows

Scarecrow Man

Linux, the free operating system, has gone from an intriguing experiment to a mainstream technology in corporate data centers, helped by the backing of major technology companies like I.B.M., Intel and Hewlett-Packard, which sponsored industry consortiums to promote its adoption.

Those same companies have decided that the time has come to consolidate their collaborative support into a new group, the Linux Foundation, which is being announced today. And the mission of the new organization is help Linux, the leading example of the open-source model of software development, to compete more effectively against Microsoft, the world’s largest software company.

The Linux Foundation will pay salaries to Linus Torvalds, the creator of Linux, and a few other key Linux programmers. That support had previously come from the Open Source Development Labs.

Full Story

http://www.linux-foundation.org

This essentially is a merger between The Free Standards Group (FSG) and Open Source Development Labs (OSDL)

Is this the beginning of the end for the free operating system? IBM, Intel and HP are not noted for their philanthropy, and they must have been supporting it in expectation of some pay off.

I assume its quite the contrary. They are expecting Microsoft to LOOSE money.

Companies like IBM, Intel and HP are all hardware manufacturers so if thier system runs Linux (which will forever remain free) They can gain marketshare from Microsoft.

Companies like IBM, Intel and HP are all hardware manufacturers so if ...

So it should not make any difference to them who's OS is run on their hardware. It's all about numbers of machines sold. It makes no difference to Ford or Chrysler who's petroleum is fed in to their cars.

They are expecting Microsoft to LOOSE money.

.....By loosing sales of OS, so someone could make money by selling a cheaper OS.

It all looks umop apisdu to me. :rolleyes:

Is this the beginning of the end for the free operating system?

I don't think that will happen , I for one am excited about this new found support..

IBM, Intel and HP are not noted for their philanthropy, and they must have been supporting it in expectation of some pay off.

Well i know HP for one has been a linux supporter for some time now , If they weren't there printers wouldn't work as well as they do...

By the way your link did not work, was it posted in Linux?? :lol:

Oh Ha Ha

Well if my internet wasn't so darn slow i might have noticed that the link was incorrect.. I guess i didn't wait long enough for the page to refresh or something..

Besides that , That's not an operating system problem , It would be internet related.. TAKE THAT - HA..!