Linspire Standardizes Software Installation Across Linux Distributions

Scarecrow Man

Finding, installing and updating software has been confusing for many desktop Linux users, with each distribution requiring their own installation process. With over five years of development, CNR will now normalize the process of finding, installing and updating Linux software for the most popular Linux distributions, both Debian and RPM based. Support for different Linux distributions will begin being available in the 2nd Quarter of 2007 via a new website, http://cnr.com. Distributions expected to be supported during 2007 are (alphabetically): Debian, Fedora, Freespire, Linspire, OpenSUSE, and Ubuntu, with other distributions planned to follow.

CNR will remain a free service for all the distributions supported. Work on this project began a year ago, and Linspire has completely redesigned, updated, and enhanced the CNR technology to support multiple distributions, both Debian and RPM based. At http://cnr.com, users may use their web browser to search for applications by title, popularity, user rating, category, function, and so on. An open-sourced plugin for each supported distribution is then used to add the one-click installation functionality. The new multi-distribution CNR system will support different distributions, as well as different versions within these distributions.

Full Story

http://cnr.com/

I've never really thought that there was anything that great about the CNR , I think it sucks really , I never could get it to work right..

Everytime i wanted to install something it wound up failing...

I think synaptic works just fine , And besides that , Everything you find in the CNR can be found in Synaptic...

Synaptic is easy to use , Just click and install..!! How much more user friendly can it get..??

Synaptic is easy to use , Just click and install..!! How much more user friendly can it get..??

That's exactly what CNR is (Click and Run), and I found it quite easy to use. I have used Linux before, but still consider myself new to the entire Linux community.

I was able to install Firefox, OpenOffice.org as well as some Linux updates with 1 click using CNR.