Asus Probe / Motherboard temperature conflict?

Guest PC Eejit

Guest PC Eejit

I've built a pc for my brother - using a Asus A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon XP 2400+ and a GlacialTech Igloo2320 HSF (and thermal paste)

The Bios reports the CPU at a whopping 62 deg C after a few minutes use. Asus Probe says it's 42 deg C - A massive difference!

Normally I would think the Bios would be in the right, but it fails to register the chassis fan I connected, yet Asus Probe tells me it's whirring away like a good 'un at 2500rpm.

The system seems perfectly stable but I'm concerned about the high Bios CPU temp. Which do you reckon is right?

(PS - I have built systems before with no problems so I know what I'm doing when it comes to heatsinks and stuff :D )

:ph34r:

just looked at my asus probe and it says 43% for the cpu, pretty much the same as yours,if the system was running too hot you would have problems,as its stable why worry.

PS. I was reading somewhere (I think it was on the AMD site) that you are better using thermal pads for CPU's that will be in place for a while and that thermal grease should only be used if you are testing CPU's ie: swapping over CPU's on a regular basis

Guest PC Eejit

I spent a good while last night searching through Google and there are a lot of instances with this MB where the bios temp is significantly higher than the Asus Probe temp - so I shall stop worrying :D

Thanks for the tip Ranger

:ph34r:

Guest Purgatory

I use an ASUS A7A 266E mobo - brilliant board, but well known for inaccurate reporting of temperatures via the bios.

Have used virtually every fan/heatsink ever invented to overcome this 'problem'. Have had no problems with the system - so decided the most accurate way of testing the actual temperature was to put hand over the exhaust fan hole - this confirmed that despite reported high temperatures - the air discharge was only VERY slightly warm.

ranger is right....I got an AMD processor/heatsink installation CD from a local computer shop. It does mention on there that AMD do not recommend the use of pastes other than for testing purposes...They say that pads should always be used.

My Athlon XP1900+ runs at around 52c and my Mobo at around 30c this time of the year.

My Athlon 2000XP varies between 54c summer to 46c winter ........Just shows the quality of heating Ive got in me "home office".....................Scince I'm a bit of a retard on the DIY front I improved the air flow around my case by sticking a 9" fan in front of it..........

It worked for me..........not very aesthetic though !.........(and it b***ard hurt when I caught my toe in it, at the end of that hot stretch that we had last summer....... ........the case is under my desk ! )