Dual Core or Core 2 Duo

Bojanglez

hi - not sure if this is the right place to post this, but i'm going to be buying a new machine from www.cyberpowerpc.com and while i understand the difference in the terms, i haven't found a good source to help me understand the performance difference between them - case in point, i'm trying to understand the difference in terms of raw performance between

(Sckt775)Intel® Pentium® D 950 Dual-Core CPU @ 3.4GHz 800FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T

and

(Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 CPU @ 2.13GHz 1066FSB 2x1MB L2 Cache EM64T()

does anyone know a good site that'll be able to give me a decent understanding of how i'm really able to compare the two?

thanks in advance!

the first processor is definitly the best

Sorry, but the Core 2 Duo is the better CPU. It will perform tasks quicker than the older type dual core Pentium's, and it'll run a lot cooler as well.

You can directly compare how the 2 processors perform head to head here, http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/cpu/charts.h...7&chart=174 ; just select a different benchmark from the drop down menu to see how they compare at different tasks.

the first processor is definitly the best

Sorry, but the Core 2 Duo is the better CPU. It will perform tasks quicker than the older type dual core Pentium's, and it'll run a lot cooler as well.

You can directly compare how the 2 processors perform head to head here, http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/cpu/charts.h...7&chart=174 ; just select a different benchmark from the drop down menu to see how they compare at different tasks.

thank you! this was pretty much exactly what i was looking for. to the poster that suggested i visit the intel site - i had already done that and had read about the underlying technology without really getting a sense of how the processors performed - however, this hardware chart showed me that the E6600 c2d will perform about 30% faster than a dual-core D950, so my choice was almost made for me!

thanks again to all that replied