IP Adress for others

Coreper

how can i find my ip adress how other people see it?

f.e.: 64.92.171.252 [sometimes it is like: 64.92.171.252:35854, what does :35854 mean in this case?]

so, i do not want to know my network ip adress [like 10.0.0.142 or something]

if you need more information, please tell

You should be able to obtain your own IP address from the settings given to you by your service provider. I can't give you any details about this as it varies from ISP to ISP but in mine I point to "My Services" then "My Account" and the IP address is given there. Note that if you have a dynamic address it will change each time you start up your modem or router.

According to the information I have, your IP address is 80.60.106.238 from which I can find your ISP with no difficulty:

role: Planet Technologies

address: Stationsstraat 115

address: P.O. box 3053

address: 3800 DB Amersfoort

address: The Netherlands

phone: +31 30 6588612

e-mail: [email protected]

nic-hdl: PT978-RIPE

admin-c: RH13540-RIPE

tech-c: RH13540-RIPE

tech-c: NKOL-RIPE

remarks: For security & abuse issues see inetnum.

mnt-by: AS8737-MNT

source: RIPE # Filtered

(there is more but posting that would just be boring)

but how does that help me?

You said you wanted to know how to find your IP address. I outlined how you how I do it in the second sentence of my first reply. I can't give you detail as it varies with different ISP's but the principle is the same.

oh, sorry

but what is ISP?

and

you gave me my ip [80.60.106.238]

so lets say: i start a game server and want someone else [not in our home network] to join it

if he would enter my ip and tries to connect, would that work?

or do i need something else, because we have more computers in our network?

and

some servers have got this as ip: 64.156.59.120:7777 , what does :7777 mean in this case?]

ISP = Internet Service Provider - in your case Planet Technologies.

The first two or three digits before the decimal point define the country (80 = Holland, 82 = UK). The next set or two sets of digits are for the company providing the service (the ISP) and the others are for the individual customer. What the other digits mean, I don't know. I have never seen any with :xxxx style digits on them but then, I know nothing about computer gaming. It may be something to do with that.

Have a look at this click here.

Heres a good way to find your external/public ip address.

http://www.whatsmyip.org/

The 7777 is the open/listening port. If you were to type 64.156.59.120:7777 in a browser, it probably wouldn't do anything because the browser would be looking for an http server on port 7777. So the program that opened the port needs the correct client to connect. Like if an unreal server is running on 64.156.59.120:7777, you would need to tell your visitors to connect to that ip and port. Typing netstat in a cmd prompt will show you whos connected on that port and netstat -b will show you what application is controlling that port.

wow! never thought that MSN took that much ports!

@-pops-: sorry to say, but not really [or i just didnt read it properly]

so if i would send a friend of mine to connect to my UT2004 server [at: 80.60.106.238:<my open port>] it would work? or is it not neccessary to add the port number to it?

The 7777 is the open/listening port. If you were to type 64.156.59.120:7777 in a browser, it probably wouldn't do anything because the browser would be looking for an http server on port 7777. So the program that opened the port needs the correct client to connect. Like if an unreal server is running on 64.156.59.120:7777, you would need to tell your visitors to connect to that ip and port. Typing netstat in a cmd prompt will show you whos connected on that port and netstat -b will show you what application is controlling that port.

:blink: Your knowledge is stunning, cozofdeath. :blink:

so if i would send a friend of mine to connect to my UT2004 server [at: 80.60.106.238:<my open port>] it would work? or is it not neccessary to add the port number to it?

I haven't used ut2004 for a while but I believe if its on a default unreal port like 7777 then you might not have to specify any port number, but it wouldn't hurt.

Your knowledge is stunning, cozofdeath.

Thanks Irene! Your pretty awesome yourself! :D

• 2 weeks later...

first i would check your router, cause if you wanna run a server, you might have to open the ports nescesary (port forwarding) in order to outside computers to be able to access your computer.

Another way to do this, is to enable UPnP which makes the router open the ports, needed by LAN programs, to the outside world, during the session of the program.

Second of all, the reason most games use high end ports (f.x. STEAM/CS uses 27015) is that windows only allows full control of ports over 10240 (cant remember the exact number though, but think this is it) if you aren't admininistrator.

Also most low end ports are already set to a predefined protocol, f.x.

80 is HTTP, 21 is FTP, 25 is TELNET and so on, so those should NEVER be used for anything else.

But usually most programs use their own predefined ports, so you should just read the FAQ, manual or like to see which port it uses, and then open the apropiate one.

But as said, use high end ports (port range is from 1 through 65535) so you wont get complications with other programs.