Computer keeps reading or running in background

Whenever I start up my computer, something keeps running in the background. It isn't my virus checking the computer. I tried to figure out what it is and cannot. I can hear something reading my hard drive constantly. It seems to slow down my processor too, when this is happening. Any ideas?

Have you tried pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete all together? This will bring up the Task Manager. Click on Processes and you will see a list of all active processes on your machine and the proportion of the computer's power each is using.

It could also be the Windows Indexing Service. If the first suggestion doesn't come up with anything useful, post back and we can look further into it.

How old is your hard drive? I once had one that did something a lot like you describe, shortly before it expired. I suggest you make a copy of it onto another drive of some sort, fairly quickly.

My computer is only a year old. It only happens when I first turn on the computer. After a while it stops. But I can't figure out what it may be doing when I first turn it on.

Have you tried pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete all together? This will bring up the Task Manager. Click on Processes and you will see a list of all active processes on your machine and the proportion of the computer's power each is using.

It could also be the Windows Indexing Service. If the first suggestion doesn't come up with anything useful, post back and we can look further into it.

Where can I read up on Window Indexing Service? Can you make a suggestion?

Thanks a lot for your input.

It only happens when I first turn on the computer. After a while it stops. But I can't figure out what it may be doing when I first turn it on.

How long is that - a few minutes? Windows initialization completion, plus user app startup initialization can take a few minutes after your desktop becomes visible. I usually advise not to do anything on the computer until all these initializations are complete.