Right-click Registry Values[?]

Coreper

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Coreper, this whole time I was thinking the search box thingy. I have never used the copy to or move to menu options but to fix the problem I would search the registry for C2FBB630-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13 and C2FBB631-2971-11d1-A18C-00C04FD75D13 values. Make sure when you search that the keys and data boxes are checked in the regedit Find box. One is the copy and the other is the move. You will probably find something in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects or HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\* keys. Once you find one or both, export, delete and try opening a folder again. Hope it helps.

BTW Do you have any tweak software or did you manually try to add the copy/move context items?

WOHOO!

after disabling the MagicISO context menu, and removing those registry values in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects the opening works properly!

thanks!!

btw: i use RegSeeker [includes some tweaks], some of the tweaks i did by hand. But i never added the Copy/Move to context items...

about my other registry problems [which i showed in the beginning of this thread]: how can i solve them? just by deleting them>?

let me know when you do

in the meanwhile i will try to fix the other registry errors

about windows dropping registry keys anywhere:

it is true: if you would like to add something to the folders right-click menu, you can add values in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \* or \Folder or \Directory.

they all [can] do the same...

it is true: if you would like to add something to the folders right-click menu, you can add values in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \* or \Folder or \Directory.

they all [can] do the same...

Yeah. I've noticed some weird differences though. When I was messing around with them I would export all three then edit and delete values from the keys and see what changed with the folders. Thats how I found folders getting really problems. Depending on whats changed and how its changed different things can happen and to different folders. Some times the whole context menu get rearranged. My documents, My computer and things like that will sometimes act totally different from everything else. Theres got to be something somewhere saying * comes first then Directory, then Folders, then the file association or AllFilesytemObjects. Or something like that.

indeed, but hey: thats windows... [messy but works properly]

they actually should make a clean windows from nothing... so you wont have multiple systems for 1 option [as an example]

there is still something i would like to know though:

you can change file icons through the registry, but i dont know how the numbering works... [like: shimgvw.dll,3 > where 3 is the icon in the shimgvw.dll file {this is from a jpg file}]

The way I've understood it is that they are indexed. So when something needs shimgvw.dll,3 it will be the third icon that the program runs into when searching through the files resources. I think also that if its a -1 or something like that then all icons are used. I could be wrong though. Another thing is that there may be 5 different icons (48x48, 32x32, 16x16 with different bit sizes per pixel) with the same resource name (how file holding the icon sees it) but depending on the screen resolution and that stuff a certain one will be used. Thats all I know about them. About a month ago I downloaded a program called Icon Sucker 2 because I was trying to figure out how the indexing worked. Its a really cool program.

ok i tried, changed some of the remaining problems in my registry > now no errors are left

but i dont know how to test this theorie of registry icon aiming...

do you maybe know a easy way to test this? [instead of making a new filetype, add a new file.<your new filetype> and change the icon in the registry]

yes, but then you would have to do that for every file extension

my example:

you have got a filetype: ZAMailSafe file

the fileextensions which are ZAMailSage files, are: .zl0,.zl1,.zl2,.zl3,..to..,.zl9,.zla,.zlb,..to..,.zlz,.zm0,..to..,.zm9,.zma,..to

..,.zme

the filetypes are link to a registry value named ZAMailSafe

this value contains the data about the Default icon and which program is default set to open it

if you change the default icon of the ZAMailsafe icon, you change all the icons of the ZAMailSafe extensions

btw: ive changed the defaulticon string from C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\UpdClient.exe,-279 to C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe,3 but it seems to change back every time...

how can i stop "it" from doing that?

So you want to be able to change the icon for say .zl0 but not .zl1 or any others?

btw: ive changed the defaulticon string from C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\UpdClient.exe,-279 to C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe,3 but it seems to change back every time...

how can i stop "it" from doing that?

Both of the files/indexes below have the correct icon (I think). I have no clue why ZA tries to look for it in UpdClient. But the key is recreated when ZA starts. This is what I did to get around it. Open regedit go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe\DefaultIcon and right click on it, select Permissions, click the Advanced button, select your login name, click Edit button, check Deny next Set Value. Then just make sure it takes effect. You will have to restart the computer not just ZA to see if it works because the shell has to recache icons. Restarting explorer may work though.

C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe,-279

C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe,-279

I found this out by messing around with permissions on the DefaultIcon key and ZA, out of no where, ZA put in C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe,-279, then C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe,-279. So I checked both files and index 279 looks like the correct icon. But after a couple of minutes and me changing permissions again ZA changed it back to the old (updclient.exe) value. I hope it works for you.

Sorry that last post was a little premature. The registry key went back to its old value. After watching about a 20 min of Lord of the Rings(its on tv here) and messing with permissions I stopped it from changing. I removed everyone except for myself and the system account from the permissions. I disabled all special permissions except for Query Value and Read Control and I unchecked the "Inherit from parent..." setting in special permissions. I also unchecked Full Control and only left Read checked.

post-4630-1178402830_thumb.jpg

post-4630-1178402850_thumb.jpg

There may be a better way. I haven't messed with a lot of the permissions and stuff because every time I edit something I restart to make sure everything is fine. I've restarted several times with it this way and haven't had a problem with it changing back or anything.

i mean that a program can deleted files which are being used by other applications [without shutting down the other applications] without getting the "file is being used" error.

btw: i checked the registry again this morning, and noticed that the value changed back...

i just changed it again, i hope it will stay this way now... [i noticed that a permissions entry was added for SYSTEM > it was allowed to have full control...!]

Hi :)

something else i wanted to know: would there be a file remover [deleter] which overrides the fact that its used by another app?

Yes, File Assassin

File ASSASSIN can delete locked files on your system. It uses advanced techniques to unload modules, close remote handles, and terminate processes to allow the optional removal of the file.

Read / Download > Here

well, i know another great program which shows you the programs which are using the files, then it asks you what you want to do [like shutting down the programs]

this program is called: Unlocker

which seems much better than File Assassin, because FA terminates the processes, while Unlocker asks you for you actions...

im more searching for a tool which will override ALL rules: it removes the file even when it is in use... [without shutting down the processes]

As far as I know its against Windows "rules" to do what you want. An interesting thing is that all deletes on reboot do is add an entry to the PendingFileRenameOperations key in the registry. When the computer later boots up the file will be deleted before important processes load. You can do this to multiple files as well as move and rename them. This is usually used when all else fails. Its easy to do though and it requires no third party tools.